Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for calming your colon? My doctor has me on Donnatal now, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Because I cannot predict when my intestines are going to go into a spasm, (no telepathy here), I was taking the Donnatal once a day. Once the spasms start, it can get very painful, wearing me out, and I have no energy after the attacks. I seem to be experiencing these painful spasms more frequently this past year. It's usually followed by diarrhea. i have been diagnosed with IBS. Any suggestions for anti-spasmodics? Would low doses of an anti-depressant help? (I don't have depression, but it does get frustrating at times).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Low doses of tricyclics sometimes do help (and tend to give all day control rather than for a few hours like a lot of antispasmodics, unless you are taking and extended release kind).Desipramine and Elavil are probably the two most prescribed for this (both tricyclics). They can turn down the inappropriate pain signals so that can help a lot if it works. Next used is probably Cymbalta and Remeron. These are an SNRI and a tetracyclic. Usually if one class doesn't work they try another class.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Kathleen. I will bring up these medications to my doctor on my next visit. I have decided to take a list of bullet point questions with me to discuss with my doctor. Sometimes I get in there and forget what I want to ask him and then leave without feeling that he has really heard me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts