Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started Caltrate last week (Caltrate-D), and it doesn't seem to be really helping much. I started with it twice a day at first, and then on Saturday upped my dosage to three times a day. Last night, triggered by a bit of stress, I had to run to find a bathroom and almost didn't make it. I'm pretty disappointed because I thought Caltrate might do the trick. If anything, though, my stomach has been a little worse over the last week than usual; and certainly not better. Should I even try to continue with Caltrate? I could up the dose to four a day, but I don't want to really overdo it without talking to my doctor about it. And given that three a day doesn't seem to be having any effect . . . Going to talk to my doctor about Questran soon (currently I'm on Levsin which works to some degree)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I wouldn't go above the 3/day as more than that exceeds the recommended maximum daily intake for calcium (like everything else too little is bad, and too much is a problem as well).Are you taking it with meals? That seems to be what helps some people the most.And no one thing works for everyone, unfortunately, and such is the way of calcium as well (and you got one that doesn't have magnesium in it, correct? for some people the added magnesium tends to loosen them up too much).K.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figure I'll at least try the three times a day for a week before totally giving it up. Actually, you may be right -- since I have given up almost all dairy, I may not be getting enough calcium anyway.Put a call into my doctor, we'll see if he likes the Questran idea.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope everyone was able to enjoy Thanksgiving. Talked to my doctor about Questran. No surprise, but he wasn't keen on me trying it out. He said I've only been on Levsin for two months now, and I should give it at least one more month since it has had good effects and may still improve with time. He also suggested I take Citrucel before bed every night. I have another appointment with him in January. If I'm still not better by then, he said we'd talk about trying a different drug. Have been feeling a bit better in the mornings since I started the Citrucel. Doesn't taste too bad either -- I always liked the orange gatorade taste. I don't think the Levsin will help any more than it has already, but again I'm not the doctor. Has anyone else been on Levsin for a period of time and seen their symptoms improve the longer they are on the drug? (i.e. past two months?)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
heyjust wanted to pass along that citrucel has a tablet version too - you take them with water. seems to work just as well for me and no messy mixing or cleaning! I hated the thck stuff that clung to the side of the glass afterwards.can't say much about the levsin - I've tried it in the past with little luck. helped the cramps some but not much for the D. but then I alternate and I don't think it's great for that. you did say that stress triggers your D - that i can relate to. I've found hypnotherapy the best thing for that for me.good luck. hopefully the fiber will keep helping. remember that it all takes time!nancy

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I have looked through the Managing anxiety forum. In fact, posted a message yesterday about meditation. I think I might try out The Relaxation Response for a month and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.