Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Now that I'm nearly off Paxil, I don't have the C I once did. In fact, I've gone the other way a bit! I started taking Caltrate Plus (just with Vitamin D in it), and it seems to be working very well. Then, I heard that Caltrate Plus with Magnesium was a better thing to take because the magnesium helps the body absorb the calcium easier (I'm also taking all of this to get the calcium I need, since I'm lactose intolerant and don't get nearly enough dairy). What I was wondering is, will the Caltrate w/Mag cause me D? I took two one day, and my intestines WERE aggravated, but I don't know if it might have been something else that caused it..... Can anyone give me any advice?? I want the calcium to be absorbed as well as possible, but I don't want D! I would appreciate any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi--Could you explain that the caltrate is for? I have IBS--D type an am trying to find something that helps. I have tried peppermint, but that did not work--only produced "cool" green D--yuck!!Shirley in N Fl------------------shirley in N fl

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
shirley, the Caltrate Plus has been used by those with D problems with some success. I tend to alternate. I am basically a C, but when I eat too much sugars I have frequent soft stooling. The Caltrate seems to help solidify the stool better (it's the carbonate in the calcium that has binding properties). Elissa, you could give it more of a chance. I use the Caltrate Plus Chewables which don't seem to give me problems with gas. It is hard to tell, you're right, at this point, if your intestinal comfort might be from something else. If you associate your discomfort with after you eat food, you would have to try an elimination diet or go to an allergist who specializes in food/preservative allergy detection. ------------------

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I think the small amount of magnesium in the caltrate plus with vitamin d and minerals only helps to prevent most of us from getting constipated while taking the calcium because it can be constipating. But this is all I have ever needed my whole 23 years of suffering and I can't believe a doctor along the way never told me.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My doctor told me to stay off the caltrate because it is too irritating to the stomach. After reading all the praises here for it now I don't know who to believe. I have had alot of gas since being on it, is that common?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
GottaGo,The gas is common at first but it goes away after a while taking it. You can take a mylanta get cap with it for a while until you no longer get the gas. It works great for the diarrhea.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is true that the magnesium helps the body to absorb the calcium, but in some people it can cause D. Magnesium alone will cause D, while calcium alone will cause C. I have seen a few people on this board who do not get complete relief from their D until they go to a calcium supplement that does not include any magnesium.I currently take 1 Caltrate Plus in the morning and even after having been on it for 3 months, I still suffer from extreme gas. To me, it outweighs the D enough that I am just trying to live with it.Lets hope they one day come up with something that works for both C & D without causing any gassy side effects!!
Christine------------------If a toilet is my throne, I want a padded seat!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For my IBS diarrhea the Caltrate Plus ( purple and white box ) is the BEST thing I have ever tried in 8 years of horrible D I have bought my stock up of it for Y2K Won't be without that Plus
why dont the doctors know abou this ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.