Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi thanks for the advice linda but the chewable tablets i have are in the pink and white box the ingredients are Calcium Carbonate 600mg per tabletVit D 5ug per tabletMagnesium 45mg per tabletZinc 5mg per tabletCopper 1 mg per tabletManganese 1 mg per tabletBoron 250ug per tabletI have been taking 1 tablet a day for the last two days and have not noticed much difference, as the Magnesium is 45 mg per tablet does this mean that i cant take any more than 1 a day. will his cause more DIf you can advise

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
You have the right kind but you need to take severl doses over the day to get the best benefits. So split the tablet in half and only take 1/2 tablet at a time with your food 3 times a day for 3 days then make and adjustment if you need to. Take it at least 4 or 5 hours apart to start and see what happens.Linda

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, i notice that you are from the UK like myself.I have recently started taking "calcium" over the last 2 weeks after trying everything else forthe past 20 years.I was living on lots of imodium and after accessing this site was intrigued by the calcium successes.I went out to buy some , but could not find "caltrate" so i went to a local health store= Holland & Barrett; and found " Absorbable calcium with vit-d " this brand contained NO magnesium. I noticed improvement over the first 3 days and can only say that it is alot better now. You have to try out lots of different doses and timings to find what is right for you.BUT my advice is "Keep At It"...it works wonders.Good Luck

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
1/2 tablet a day may not be enough it usually takes three doses over the day to keep control because the calcium works through the system and to keep it working you usually need a dose every 5 hours with food. Let us know how you are.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
knothappy,I have not tried Questran but for me the calcium works well. There are some I have heard take both and I would thing taking a calcium tablet with no other side effects would be better to take then the Questran. It would also seem to me it would be easier to take not having to mix something and drink it when you are out.vere,Calcium does interfer with some other meds so it would be good to check with a pharmacist to be sure if any meds you take are amoung them. I do know thyroid meds are one of them.Linda

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, You are right, I take thyroid meds. BUT my doctor said just don't take them together!So, I take my thyroid meds in the morning, and the Calcium with lunch and dinner, and it seems to work fine!No thyroid complications, and not much IBS-D.I hope this can help others on any thyroid meds.Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi xI've only just started to take Caltrate Plus in the last couple of days to try and slow down everything.I have been taking two tablets a day (full tablets) and have noticed a little change, but i think i will now try splitting the tablets as Linda has suggested and take 3-4 a day, evenly spaced and see what happens...I really hope this will help me!!! i'm desperate!I'll keep everyone posted as to how i'm doing with the calcium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.