Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people have mentioned Caltrate, I was wondering, what exactly is it? I haven't heard of it before. Does it require a prescription (I am from Canada) or over the counter or what? What exactly is it aimed to do? Has anyone had any bad/good experiences with it?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Canadian:A lot of D people have found that Caltrate 600 Plus (in the purple and white box), which is calcium carbonate with vitamin D & minerals, has helped them. I take it also even though I am more a C person, because I need the calcium.The breakdown of the vitamins & minerals is:Vitamin D - 200 IUCalcium - 600 mgMagnesium - 40 mgZinc - 7.5 mgCopper - 1 mgManganese - 1.8 mgYou can get other brands too, but this is the breakdown you should get.LNape is the expert here on calcium, and I'm sure as soon as she sees your post she'll answer.
JeanG

G

·
I started using Caltrate,which I got from the local drugstore in the area with the vitamin and mineral supplements, about 2 weeks ago and it is working perfectly. I haven't had any D when I take the Caltrate. I am still only taking 1/2 tablet with every meal. I have heard that some people take a whole tablet but I am going to stick with 1/2 as long as it works. I am so glad to be off the Immodium which made me sick to my stomach. Thanks to all who recommended the Caltrate. You are all lifesavers.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Proud Canadian,Welcome to the board and it looks like you got the answer for where to get the caltrate. It is only a calcium supplement and it helps bind excess bile and water in the intestines and helps give amor solid BM. I would be gald to answer all of your question if you would like to email me. I have been taking it since July 1998 with success and came to the message boards in Oct 1998 and many have tried it also and are being helped.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Calcium is a mineral and yes you get it at drug or grocery stores. It is important to find one that has the same ingredients as the Caltrate 600 Plus with Vitamin D and Minerals. It is not the same as taking a multi vitamin in fact these can cause stomach upset for some.Email me if you like.Linda

·
Registered
598 Posts
Use the search button and you will find hundreds of postings for this valuable supplement. Particularly read the success stories. Not everybody has been helped, but the majority have. Women need this supplement anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.