Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My suspected IBS started 14 months ago along with many other IBS and non IBS symptoms. My HMO is allowing me to see a neurologist to rule out a neurological problem. Request comments from anyone who has also taken this step.Thank You,Karl

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I often wondered this in the past myself Karl, since I think most IBS presents itself with neurological symptoms, mainly spasaming which of course triggers the stooling or lack of peristalsis and constipation as a result. Other than give you an antispasmotic, which GI docs give anyway, I don't know what else they would do for you; unless they find another underlying condition. I actually only thought about going to one after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, since I believe this to be a neuro-muscular condition as well. I also think that something may be triggering that neurological response. Of course who ever figures out just what that is, and comes up with the cure as a result, will be famous and loved by many. Whatever you decide Karl, good luck to you and let us know. I guess I didn't help you much , but I will also be interested in what others have to say who have been to one.------------------

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
From the symptoms you described earlier, it doesn't follow and while IBS is probably fundamentally neurological, it is the neurology of the gut, which is in the purview of gastroenterologists, not neurologists.And fibromyalgia is considered a rheumatological condition.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Although fibro may be classified as a rheumatic illness, it has some manifestations of neurological symptoms as well, perhaps caused by a rheumatic related infection in the past. There is no obvious inflamation seen in fibro as there is with other rheumatic illnesses. Spasms are a common complaint both in IBS and FMS. There have been CT head studies as well as spinal fluid studies in patients with FMS that show some abnormalities. ------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts