Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absoultely LOVE beans--but haven't been able to eat them for about 2 years now. Does anyone know of a bean recipe that's gas free? My mom had said one time that a friend of hers has a recipe that takes the gas out of beans. You soak the beans in baking soda. I don't know if this works or not--but I'm planning on trying to find some info online about this process. I will let everyone know if I find a way to do this. I've tried beano--but it doesn't seem to work that well for me and I've just stopped eating them (along with other gassy foods) all together. The gas is awfully painful!!! If anyone has any recipes please let me know...thanks!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sorry I can't be of much help, but I did read somewhere that black-eyed peas were the least gas-producing type of "bean." I can't handle them since my main IBS symptom is bloating! My mother eats an entire 16-ounce can of black beans four to five days a week, almost daily. She has for nearly 2 years now. Coupled with the oatmeal she eats for breakfast every morning, she gets plenty of fiber (and plenty of gas).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sorry I can't be of much help, but I did read somewhere that black-eyed peas were the least gas-producing type of "bean." I can't handle them since my main IBS symptom is bloating! My mother eats an entire 16-ounce can of black beans four to five days a week, almost daily. She has for nearly 2 years now. Coupled with the oatmeal she eats for breakfast every morning, she gets plenty of fiber (and plenty of gas).

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'd love to be a vegetarian, but can't eat beans. I stayed in an ashram for a week and was so full of gas I almost died. Spent the week in the bathroom. So much for spiritual enlightenment! Does Beano help anyone?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'd love to be a vegetarian, but can't eat beans. I stayed in an ashram for a week and was so full of gas I almost died. Spent the week in the bathroom. So much for spiritual enlightenment! Does Beano help anyone?

G

·
I used to love Mexican food!! Esp. pinto beans. Now I find, even though these aren't pintos, that white navy beans (cooked really well)don't give me any trouble. Salt, white pepper, and they're pretty good.[This message has been edited by Alexilyn2 (edited 08-13-2001).]

G

·
I used to love Mexican food!! Esp. pinto beans. Now I find, even though these aren't pintos, that white navy beans (cooked really well)don't give me any trouble. Salt, white pepper, and they're pretty good.[This message has been edited by Alexilyn2 (edited 08-13-2001).]

G

·
Beans..hmmmmI can eat string beans and Fava beans. Usually I can eat Pinto beans too, but not anything else.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

G

·
Beans..hmmmmI can eat string beans and Fava beans. Usually I can eat Pinto beans too, but not anything else.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
AS long as I don't eat fruit in the same day as beans and then drink a lot of water, beans don't bother me. I think I heard about the baking soda soak as well. It's worth a try, anyway. I heard that there's a bean called Anasazi Beans that are supposed to be easy to digest and has a reputation of very little to no gas. Haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
AS long as I don't eat fruit in the same day as beans and then drink a lot of water, beans don't bother me. I think I heard about the baking soda soak as well. It's worth a try, anyway. I heard that there's a bean called Anasazi Beans that are supposed to be easy to digest and has a reputation of very little to no gas. Haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I heard when you soak them make sure you change the water before cooking them. Then add garlic when you cook them, that is suppose to take some of the gas away.I tried this yesterday with lentils, and I was okay.I don't know if this really works. I could have had just a goog day. It's worth trying it out though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I heard when you soak them make sure you change the water before cooking them. Then add garlic when you cook them, that is suppose to take some of the gas away.I tried this yesterday with lentils, and I was okay.I don't know if this really works. I could have had just a goog day. It's worth trying it out though.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
GAILSUSAN: ____________________________________I stayed in an ashram for a week and was so full of gas I almost died. Spent the week in the bathroom. So much for spiritual enlightenment ___________________________________There are many paths to enlightenment. Look at it this way, perhaps one week in the ashrams' bathroom was your GuruJi's means of isolating you from all the temptations of the material world for at least a brief period, and a means of Inner Cleansing(?)
(gas=enLIGHTenment?)Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
GAILSUSAN: ____________________________________I stayed in an ashram for a week and was so full of gas I almost died. Spent the week in the bathroom. So much for spiritual enlightenment ___________________________________There are many paths to enlightenment. Look at it this way, perhaps one week in the ashrams' bathroom was your GuruJi's means of isolating you from all the temptations of the material world for at least a brief period, and a means of Inner Cleansing(?)
(gas=enLIGHTenment?)Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Raffinose is the culprit that makes beans the musical fruit (the more you eat the more you toot). Raffinose is a sugar in beans and cabbage that we don't digest well, but the colonic bacteria feast upon. Raffinose does diffuse out of the beans so soaking them in water that you throw away and cooking them in fresh water helps. Also rinsing canned beans completely before eating them helps remove some of the raffinose as well.Taking probiotics regularly may help as probiotic species of bacteria don't make gas from carbohydrates like raffinose and what they eat the ones that make gas from it can't get to.Beano is a product that is supposed to break down the raffinose and some people swear by it.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Raffinose is the culprit that makes beans the musical fruit (the more you eat the more you toot). Raffinose is a sugar in beans and cabbage that we don't digest well, but the colonic bacteria feast upon. Raffinose does diffuse out of the beans so soaking them in water that you throw away and cooking them in fresh water helps. Also rinsing canned beans completely before eating them helps remove some of the raffinose as well.Taking probiotics regularly may help as probiotic species of bacteria don't make gas from carbohydrates like raffinose and what they eat the ones that make gas from it can't get to.Beano is a product that is supposed to break down the raffinose and some people swear by it.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.