Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been in the toilet for the past 25minutes trying unsuccessfully yet again to pass very very soft BM,why oh why wont they come out.I sat there for 10minutes not straining but nothing happened then i strained until my face was purple and my bottom sore and piles popped out again.There is just no answer to this.I now feel weak,nauseated and a bit shaky and have low pelvic pain,feel miserable!My Doctor has given me different medicines to try and help but nothing helps at all.No idea why bowel wont move properly.I am of petite frame,slim and my diet is good,but nothing helps.I am going on a bit here,sorry,i am just so desperate for a bit of relief.I am doing pelvic floor exercises that i have been given by my Physiotherapist to do,but they could take a long time to help.Also taken the alternative route to.I am not constipated in the way others are,my BM are always soft,but just will not pass out easily.My bowel still feels as if it needs to move,but i am not going back to strain again,it makes me ill.Any help/advice appreciated.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are they doing any biofeedback to train you to relax the muscles when you are trying to pass a BM? That is different than Kegels and some other types of pelvic floor exercises.You might try seeing if you can try the squat position. Some people can actually do it on the toilet seat. It is easier to pass them than in the sitting position. If you can't either find something to squat over or can't do it over the toilet seat at least using a step stool so your feet are up and your thighs are angled upward rather than out or down can help.Have you tried using a glycerin suppository or a bit of mineral oil to lubricate things. Or even a small enema so things are more likely to slide out.Unfortunately if you do not open the sphincter up when you need to even very soft stool can be hard to pass.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been having Biofeedback and i also sit with my feet on a step in the toilet,have done for years.I have tried glycerin suppository but they gave me severe D.Just dont know what to do Kathleen.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well you are doing the right things, so really try to relax and if you get uptight when you start straining a lot that probably only makes it worse. Probably better to stop early and do something distracting for awhile then go back and see if you can relax enough to go.The longer you sit and strain I would think the more you reinforce the clamping tight when you should be letting things out.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I agree with Kathleen. And IMHO...25 mintues is WAaaaayyyy too long to sit there. I would seriously shorten that time.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Hi Diana oh yes i definitely agree with kathleen and bq on the sitting and straining. years ago i used to do that but straining only made things worse--much wosre. it made me tenser and tenser and guaranteed i won't go. i don't sit on the toilet for a long time any more either. if there's no results, i just get up and do some walking around--light housework, that sort of thing--and that often helps----just getting up and moving around for a while.quite a while ago someone posted about a woman who would sit for a while in a bathtub full of warm water and that would help relax her pelvic floor muscles so she could go...other people have mentioned sitting on the toilet with feet on a footstool (i know you do that already) and bulging out the tummy as you have a bm helps relax the pelvic floor muscles---others mention that blowing (as in blowing out candles) instead of straining helps...i suppose the therapists have already told you these things... oh and about the glycerin suppositories....did you use just the plain glycerin ones--not the ones with the laxative added. i use the plain glycerin ones. i would imagine the ones with the laxative added could end up giving a person bad diarrhea...just some thoughts...hope today is better for you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi KathleenI am sure i do sit and strain way to much which is very unhealthy.I do also have the problem that the BM is hanging out my bottom so i cant just get up from the toilet,if i wipe it away there always seems more there that i have to get out.I do know i need to stop this as it is a very bad habit.I really will try.Thank you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi BQI do try and sit for only ten minutes at a time,but it can be a lot longer,know this is wrong,so will be trying not to spend so much time on the toilet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi AnnieI do know i am always very tense on the toilet,always straining,but there is a BM there most of the time,if i do not get it out,it just does not happen later in the day,just goes away,where it goes i do not know.Have not tried the bath suggestion,but anything worth a try.Yes,the Physiotherapist has given me all the things to do with sitting on the toilet,breathing etc.It was plain suppositries i had,but they gave me the D,so my doctor gave me infant ones,D also with them.What i am told is i have a very very sensitive system and because of my height and low weight i tend to get side effects with everything i try.Not much fun so that is why at the moment i am not taking anything for my health problems.I do think there has to be something that will ease them a bit for me.I am thinking of trying something Alternative again,at least i wont get or be to scared of side effects.Sorry for the long story.Thank you for advice.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
How about using just a plain stool softener??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your message could have been written exactly by me....I have the exact same problem...please let me know if you find anything to help....I would love to hear more from you.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
What about using Immodium to slow it down and firm it up and metamucil to bulk it up??? I don't know if that would work but it seems like it would.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Immodium made me severely constipated.There is just no answer to this awful symptom,but i keep on trying to find something!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts