Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS when I was a baby, however the past two years things have worsened. The doctors now believe that I may have one of many things, polyps, ovarian cysts, fibroids, ovarian cancer etc. This kinda freaks me out. Everytime my period starts I am doubled over in so much lower abdominal pain. It is like contactions (when you have a baby). It is soooo painful! They thought it was just bowel spasms but when they found it was related to my period they thought it could be one of those things. Or something completely different! He has no idea what it is. He told me to keep a journal of all the pain I have, where it is, every time I have a #2 and what it is like and details about my period and stuff for two months and then go back and see him. (I go back this Thursday)I have had an ultrasound done, and all that it showed was that I have a large mobile gallstone. I also had x-rays done during an attack to make sure that my fluid levels were alright, they X-ray tech thought they were ok. So what could this be??? If it is suddenly not IBS then what it is. Right when my period starts I get this nasty pain, and I just want to die. It is right across my lower abdominal. The pain can last from 2-14 hours. And nothing seems to help....Levsin, tylonal, gravol, peppermint gels, ginger root,ibuprofen, nothing! I get mild abnominal pain every day but nothing compared to when my period starts.Any suggestions as to what it could be?I do not even know what any of that is! I have not had children yet, but want to....is this going to be a problem if I have it? For those of you wondering if it has to do with sexual intercourse, I have never had sexual intercourse. So what is it?I AM SO FRUSTRATED! CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS? ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I AM DESPERATE!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Blues, I think we can all relate to all the uncertainty, questions and frustration while awaiting a diagnosis. Unfortunately we would only be able to guess, at best, what is causing your symptoms. Your Doc is the only one who can diagnose you. But I know the frustration of waiting for that to happen. The best thing you might want to do now is to go over the symptoms you have logged down and make sure you included everything the Doc asked for. Also write down a list of all of your questions. You could use the ones you posted here and add to it til you get to Thursday. Hang in there Blues! Hope they can get you a diagnosis real soon.BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Blues, I think we can all relate to all the uncertainty, questions and frustration while awaiting a diagnosis. Unfortunately we would only be able to guess, at best, what is causing your symptoms. Your Doc is the only one who can diagnose you. But I know the frustration of waiting for that to happen. The best thing you might want to do now is to go over the symptoms you have logged down and make sure you included everything the Doc asked for. Also write down a list of all of your questions. You could use the ones you posted here and add to it til you get to Thursday. Hang in there Blues! Hope they can get you a diagnosis real soon.BQ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree with everything BQ said. At best all we can do is guess.I have what the doctors say now is IBS and ovarian cysts. Actually what he said I have is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Do some reading up on that online and see if you have some of the symptoms. Cysts can be pretty painful, I get the same pain. The doctor said that when they burst they can cause quite a bit of pain. He also said that it's more likely irritating my IBS too. As for having children, this is something I'm struggling with. I have one son, he's 4 years old. But I had him before all of this started. I read somewhere that due to me having PCOS, my odds of getting pregnant with fertility drugs is 30-60%. And I'm not even sure if I want to go through with all the drugs and stuff. I would love to have one more child. But I'm thinking now it's just not in the cards for me. I hope you get more information soon. Hang in there!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree with everything BQ said. At best all we can do is guess.I have what the doctors say now is IBS and ovarian cysts. Actually what he said I have is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Do some reading up on that online and see if you have some of the symptoms. Cysts can be pretty painful, I get the same pain. The doctor said that when they burst they can cause quite a bit of pain. He also said that it's more likely irritating my IBS too. As for having children, this is something I'm struggling with. I have one son, he's 4 years old. But I had him before all of this started. I read somewhere that due to me having PCOS, my odds of getting pregnant with fertility drugs is 30-60%. And I'm not even sure if I want to go through with all the drugs and stuff. I would love to have one more child. But I'm thinking now it's just not in the cards for me. I hope you get more information soon. Hang in there!Jennifer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since it is associated with your period... you might have endometriosis. It's where scar tissue forms on other part of your insides besides your uterus. Ask your gynocologist... the treatment is fairly easy... outpatient and takes away a lot of what you are describing. I know... I've been there! It's good to limit what you don't have to find what you might have! Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since it is associated with your period... you might have endometriosis. It's where scar tissue forms on other part of your insides besides your uterus. Ask your gynocologist... the treatment is fairly easy... outpatient and takes away a lot of what you are describing. I know... I've been there! It's good to limit what you don't have to find what you might have! Good luck!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Blues, I know it is hard hon, but you really need to ask your Doc some of these questions as everyone is different.If you want to learn about endometriosis, try popping it into your search engine. There perhaps, you can read about signs, symptoms & possible treatments.Here is one I came up with: http://www.endometriosis.org/ Hope you can get some answers at your Appointment on Thursday.BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Blues, I know it is hard hon, but you really need to ask your Doc some of these questions as everyone is different.If you want to learn about endometriosis, try popping it into your search engine. There perhaps, you can read about signs, symptoms & possible treatments.Here is one I came up with: http://www.endometriosis.org/ Hope you can get some answers at your Appointment on Thursday.BQ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Blues, I'm not suggesting you consider a hysterectomy, but you might want to check out www.hystersisters.com. It's a support site for women considering, preparing for, or recovering from hysterectomy, but it also has great info for "female problems" in general.I only mention it because you might find folks there who've been through what you've been through.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Blues, I'm not suggesting you consider a hysterectomy, but you might want to check out www.hystersisters.com. It's a support site for women considering, preparing for, or recovering from hysterectomy, but it also has great info for "female problems" in general.I only mention it because you might find folks there who've been through what you've been through.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi BluesClues,BQ is right, everybody is different and we're just giving you a few possibilities. As far as endometriosis, it is best to look up on the computer or ask your doctor. In general, if you do have endo, it's not life threatening, but can cause many complications. For treatment, it is outpatient - usually a 45 minute procedure. They do a laproscopy - which is basically a scope through your bellybutton and look around to see if you have any endo... if they see something they go ahead and laser it. Kinda cool... they gave me a video tape of the whole thing. A few days recovery... but not a lot of pain... just tired. Very uninvasive... but the good thing is that they can see other things while in there with the scope... if they don't see anything... they don't do anything.
Good luck... might just be one more thing to rule out. Kathy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi BluesClues,BQ is right, everybody is different and we're just giving you a few possibilities. As far as endometriosis, it is best to look up on the computer or ask your doctor. In general, if you do have endo, it's not life threatening, but can cause many complications. For treatment, it is outpatient - usually a 45 minute procedure. They do a laproscopy - which is basically a scope through your bellybutton and look around to see if you have any endo... if they see something they go ahead and laser it. Kinda cool... they gave me a video tape of the whole thing. A few days recovery... but not a lot of pain... just tired. Very uninvasive... but the good thing is that they can see other things while in there with the scope... if they don't see anything... they don't do anything.
Good luck... might just be one more thing to rule out. Kathy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts