Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally seeing a GI for the first time tomorrow. I am reallly concerned as to what to expect at this first appointmen. I have had really acute D for 10 days and the old tried and true Immodium isn't helping much. I don't see how I can have much of an examination in this state, not to mention how to give a stool sample when there is only water! I need some input as to what has happened with some of you at the Dr's office when you are having a really bad attack. I even considered calling them and sort of forewarning them . If any of you can shed any light on this predicament I would appreciate it greatly. Maddie

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
Maddie,You might want to have a look at this in the FAQ forum: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000019.htmlI'm sure your GI Doctor has patients that are exactly like you. Be honest and don't worry about your current situation. Matter of fact it's probably better to be seen by your Dr. during your flare up.Jeff[This message has been edited by Jeffrey Roberts (edited 02-06-2001).]

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
180 Posts
It was hard to tell from your post if you are worried about being sick at the doctor's because you are embarrassed or because you do not want to inconvenience them. If either of these are the case, please focus on the fact that you are ill and they are there to help you! The only reason I could see for forewarning the office, is to make sure that they are running on time, and to let them know that because you are acutely symptomatic that you would be uncomfortable having to wait in the waiting room for an extended period of time. Good luck with your appointment, I hope you experience some relief.------------------This input is provided solely for educational purposes and is not to be seen as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult a qualified professional about your personal medical needs and any questions you may have regarding this information.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think that it's also important that you take a written list of your symptoms (i.e., symptoms, frequency, severity, patterns, tiggers. etc.) Also, take the list off the link Jeff posted and do take notes.And I too think it might be better to see the doctor during a flare up. Especially with it being your first visit.I hope things go well for you and the gastro is to your liking.[This message has been edited by Bud (edited 02-06-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.