Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad attack of cramps and D this afternoon. The cramping was severe and strong and felt like contractions (like in childbirth). I slept for about 2 hrs after, and woke up still feeling crampy. Took two Levsin SL - didn't help much. Now I am experiencing what feels like BAD gas pains all over my body, and am a little nauseous. What are anybody's favorite treatments for gas? HELP! I feel a little better if I stay with my body stretched out, rather than hunched over. I am going to log off for a few minutes to get a few things done but will be checking back in a little while. Thanks everyone!LynneB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Charlie. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon pattern of symptoms for me. I think I brought it on this time by eating chocolate. (See my post on why do we eat things that we know cause us problems)I just took two x-tra strength Phazyme tabs (simethicone for gas relief), and hopefully they will help. In any case, maybe this thread will turn into a post for sharing gas relief methods? I'm sure that would be info that many of us could use.LynneB (Thanks for getting the name right) [This message has been edited by LynneB (edited 04-11-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LynneB--my D attacks seem to be under control but before when I did have them I'd get terribly gassy afterwards. I know exactly how you feel. Simethicone is pretty good for relieving the pains but as for prevention I'm at a loss. It's like your system is all out of whack after all that D and gas is just one more symptom. I'm lactose intolerant so any dairy also brings on really foul gas, even if there's no D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi LynnB,I hope that you found relief before I got a chance to read your post. However, if it happens again this might help. When this hits me I go to the old knee/chest position that I learned when I was PG back in ancient times. Just get on your knees on the bed with your chest on the mattress as close to your knees as you can get. I keep my arms down my sides with my head turned to one side. Then just let it rip - it might take a few minutes, but it will happen. Good luck.Barbara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why don't you try taking the simethicone on a regular basis instead of when the gas pains hit. My doctor put me on 4 tablets a day. One after each meal and one at bedtime. I used to get terrible gas pains, now I hardly ever get them. She also says that I don't have to worry about taking then with any other medications because the simethicone can't be digested. It just passes through us. ( I buy a generic brand at Costco. They are much cheaper.)[This message has been edited by Eskie (edited 04-13-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LynneB, Charco Caps are specifically designed for intestinal gas and I have found that they work very well. You can get them at any drugstore. If you can't find Charco Caps, look for some gas tablets that contain charcoal. Good luck! Lisa[This message has been edited by LisaM (edited 04-14-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.