Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a bad morning and just wanted to vent (as my husband hates to hear about my "tummy issues"). I am feeling like #### and bloated severely because I had the audacity to treat myself to a smal bowl of pasta last night, yet I can eat hot wings, hot pepper flakes and a whole jar of jalapenos and feel just fime! Anyone else think this is weird?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
IBS is weird! Given my experience, that doesn't suprise me. I eat peppers frequently with less trouble than pasta. White pasta tends to keep things from flowing smoothly which can be very uncomfortable. Try whole wheat instead.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
IBS is weird! Given my experience, that doesn't suprise me. I eat peppers frequently with less trouble than pasta. White pasta tends to keep things from flowing smoothly which can be very uncomfortable. Try whole wheat instead.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi pepto,I'm the same, I like spicy food and strangely enough I can digest it, but I can't deal with pasta, bread and rice anymore. They give me bloating and D. It's not the pasta sauce with me, I now eat butterbeans with pastasauce when I cook pasta for the rest of my family (and that is fine). It seems everybody is different here with their triggers, maybe you have problems with carbohydrates as well, why not try to leave out most carbs in your diet for a while and see if it helps you?Fay

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi pepto,I'm the same, I like spicy food and strangely enough I can digest it, but I can't deal with pasta, bread and rice anymore. They give me bloating and D. It's not the pasta sauce with me, I now eat butterbeans with pastasauce when I cook pasta for the rest of my family (and that is fine). It seems everybody is different here with their triggers, maybe you have problems with carbohydrates as well, why not try to leave out most carbs in your diet for a while and see if it helps you?Fay

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
That's ironic that you mention that as my Dad has asked me a similar thing: Why can I eat Mexican food with no problem, but an orange or too much pasta will cause pain, bloating, gas, etc.My theory is that we're used to hearing about people with heartburn, ulcers, GERD, etc that deal more with the stomach and spicy stuff usually isn't recommended for those conditions. I had to explain to my Dad that it isn't my stomach that's messed up, it's everything after that! And, if I recall correctly and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but cayenne pepper actually aids in digestion.So, to keep from babbling on too long, I think it's just our perception of 'spicy' foods that makes us IBSrs sorta automatically think those foods are what we should avoid, not yummy, bland foods like pasta!I also have to watch my starch intake - esp. bagels. Too much and my C is just awful *sigh* But at least I can still have my Mexican food!
Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
That's ironic that you mention that as my Dad has asked me a similar thing: Why can I eat Mexican food with no problem, but an orange or too much pasta will cause pain, bloating, gas, etc.My theory is that we're used to hearing about people with heartburn, ulcers, GERD, etc that deal more with the stomach and spicy stuff usually isn't recommended for those conditions. I had to explain to my Dad that it isn't my stomach that's messed up, it's everything after that! And, if I recall correctly and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but cayenne pepper actually aids in digestion.So, to keep from babbling on too long, I think it's just our perception of 'spicy' foods that makes us IBSrs sorta automatically think those foods are what we should avoid, not yummy, bland foods like pasta!I also have to watch my starch intake - esp. bagels. Too much and my C is just awful *sigh* But at least I can still have my Mexican food!
Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way. To answer some of your questions, yes I am highly sensitove tocarbs. I try to maintain a lowcarb diet, but sometimes it's just so hard so I try to treat myself once in a while. I miss pasta and mashed potatoes the most of all. there is a storeclose to me that sells many low carb foods including low carb chips and pastand french fries. They actually are not bad, but not the same when my hubby or co-workers are eating the real thing
I'm glad to be able to eat all the meat and cheese that I want and not feel bad at all, but when theres a craving....it's there!!!It's so good to know I'm not alone!! I have a Dr. appt. on Teusday to discuss a new medication....cross your fingers for me, I'll let you know if it works or not!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way. To answer some of your questions, yes I am highly sensitove tocarbs. I try to maintain a lowcarb diet, but sometimes it's just so hard so I try to treat myself once in a while. I miss pasta and mashed potatoes the most of all. there is a storeclose to me that sells many low carb foods including low carb chips and pastand french fries. They actually are not bad, but not the same when my hubby or co-workers are eating the real thing
I'm glad to be able to eat all the meat and cheese that I want and not feel bad at all, but when theres a craving....it's there!!!It's so good to know I'm not alone!! I have a Dr. appt. on Teusday to discuss a new medication....cross your fingers for me, I'll let you know if it works or not!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No its not weird I can eat spicy currys and when I have got pains and bloating it does help get rid of the pain! I recently saw a dowser and asked about this its because the spices get your gut working overtime! and as for paste sounds like you better stay off Wheat products!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No its not weird I can eat spicy currys and when I have got pains and bloating it does help get rid of the pain! I recently saw a dowser and asked about this its because the spices get your gut working overtime! and as for paste sounds like you better stay off Wheat products!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.