Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for gas to 'sit' like a continuous gripping pain in the bellybutton area for a couple of hours ( no real sensation of it 'moving around')before being released. I sure would like some input; I'm trying to figure out if what I experienced was 'just' gas, or something I need to see a doctor about. Can gas feel like that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mia

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't think there is a good way to tell what the exact cause of the pain is.Colon activity causes pain, trapped gas can cause pain, they each cause a different type of pain. Would be nice if stabbing was one thing and pinching was something completely different and achy was always just this other thing, but everything seems to cause all sorts of sensations, just depends on how your gut nerves happen to misinterpret/over-react to sensations that shouldn't be painful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding you two. I'm hoping my pain was just gas- but it was quite intense - I think it was the intensity of it that has me scared. I have read that gas pain can be severe- but this one didn't budge for a couple of hours- though it did let up after taking a 'gas over- the- counter' med from the pharmacy. Sometimes it's so confusing- (sometimes I think if I had symptoms of ovarian cancer I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from my usual pains etc. as they're so much like what I experience very frequently). SighMia

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had some gas where it's just stabbing pain.... but mostly mine is bloating which swells my stomach up so much I look 5 months pregnant... it's embarrassing and so uncomfortable.
I've actually had this sensation where gas backs up and sits there among hard stools. I'll go to the toilet, sit there there's gas and hard stool there but neither one will come out and I'm miserable with pain. sometimes in this situation, for me at least, leaning forward will cause me to have a long, loud really stinky fart followed a minute or two later by the hard stool. I have learned when I find myself in this situation, not to get up off the toilet for at least ten or 15 minutes or my underwear might get ruined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've actually had this sensation where gas backs up and sits there among hard stools. I'll go to the toilet, sit there there's gas and hard stool there but neither one will come out and I'm miserable with pain. sometimes in this situation, for me at least, leaning forward will cause me to have a long, loud really stinky fart followed a minute or two later by the hard stool. I have learned when I find myself in this situation, not to get up off the toilet for at least ten or 15 minutes or my underwear might get ruined.
I feel exactly the same! although not tried that.... long farts are really satisfying, however... lots of tension goes! Nice to know someone else unfortunately has the same problems...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.