Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have posted about this in the past, but I didnt really get any responses. I am at my wits end and am going to try again.I tend to be more C. However, these days, I dont think I am typically C. I can usually go to the bathroom everyday. I dont get urges except pain telling me I need to move my bowels. The stool is usually right there pretty quick, but its often hard, dry and large. I have to strain quite often to get it out. I had a fecal impaction once before and had to got to the ER and I am PETRIFIED of this happening again.I do all I can to prevent hard dry stools. I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and eat tons of fiber. That helps a little, but not enough.I cannot take fiber supplements because they make me worse, but I really do eat a very high-fiber diet.Does anyone have any advice for me. I need a long term solution. I cant live in fear like this anymore. I am obsessed with my bowels over fear of going to the ER again with that horrible pain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think so, but there is so much controversy over whether or not emollient stool softeners (docuste, colace) are actually considered stimulants laxatives or are safe to take every day. Everyone has different opinions and I have read about 50/50 on online searches. The last thing I need is to be addictive to laxatives.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you sound like me a few years ago. trust me, you are heading straight for h's and fissures if you don't get your stools softened up....and surgery for those will make your impaction a fond memory.if your diet is strictly from the produce dept. and you're still having hard stools, call a doc and get an osmotic laxative or try magnesium.i wish i could turn back the clock. you still can avoid a lot of pain if you act now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not that easy. I just moved and dont have a GI right now. I am more than willing to take docusate (colace) every day but I cant seem to find a solid answer aboiut whether or not it is safe to take regularly every day. Like I said, I read some places its safe, and then others that its not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.