Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what might happen to me if i decide i want to have alcohol, should i drink, or just avoide. What would be the worst that could happen to me, if i do drink, plus i am on Librax and Ortho Tri Cyclin

·
Registered
332 Posts
As far as your IBS, if you can tolerate alcohol without any exacerbation of your IBS, there is no reason not to enjoy it (in moderation of course). Since everyone with IBS is so different, there is no way to know how you will react to it. The one caveat is that if you are taking Librax on a regular basis, you will want to be careful about mixing this with alcohol as Librax contains librium, a mild tranquilizer, and alcohol can increase this effect of the Librax. ~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
As far as your IBS, if you can tolerate alcohol without any exacerbation of your IBS, there is no reason not to enjoy it (in moderation of course). Since everyone with IBS is so different, there is no way to know how you will react to it. The one caveat is that if you are taking Librax on a regular basis, you will want to be careful about mixing this with alcohol as Librax contains librium, a mild tranquilizer, and alcohol can increase this effect of the Librax. ~JR~

G

·
Just curious why you think the Ortho, may interact with alcohol?I agree with the previous post, alcohol can affect IBS'rs in many ways, and mixing a tranquilizer with alcohol is pretty much always a NO NO. I am sure if you read the label on the Librax vial it will mention this, but if you are ever in doubt CALL YOUR DOCTOR, or call a Pharmacist.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

G

·
Just curious why you think the Ortho, may interact with alcohol?I agree with the previous post, alcohol can affect IBS'rs in many ways, and mixing a tranquilizer with alcohol is pretty much always a NO NO. I am sure if you read the label on the Librax vial it will mention this, but if you are ever in doubt CALL YOUR DOCTOR, or call a Pharmacist.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The tranquilizer part of Librax like most of the tranqs can react synergistically with alcohol. So it may be that each drink hits you like 2 or 3 or 4 and the problem can escalate pretty rapidly so caution is advised if you do both.Alcohol can cause diarrhea in people who do not have IBS, it sometimes causes major diarrhea in some people who do have IBS.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The tranquilizer part of Librax like most of the tranqs can react synergistically with alcohol. So it may be that each drink hits you like 2 or 3 or 4 and the problem can escalate pretty rapidly so caution is advised if you do both.Alcohol can cause diarrhea in people who do not have IBS, it sometimes causes major diarrhea in some people who do have IBS.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.