Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just been diagnosed with IBS. What i dont understand is that the common symptoms are pain and diahroea no one ever talks about nausea i suffer from severe nausea some times 24hrs a day!! Does anyone else have this as there main symptom. What helps?? Also what is IBS D OR C that i see people talking aboout. Sorry for all questions new at this thing....

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I can't answer your nausea question b/c that is one I dont have. When we talk about IBS C is means constipation. IBS D is diareeah. LOL too hard to spell so D works for me.
Hope someone can answer your other questions. Welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Some people do experience nausea and vomiting with IBS....Do a search and type in nausea and you will see alot of info come up...Did you let your Doctor no about it...It could have something to do with IBS or there is other things that could cause it..They say that nausea isnt a sign of IBS but it is and no one knows are bodies better then we do

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have had IBS for 10 years and the first 4 years I had nearly constant nausea. Sometimes it would be really bad and sometimes just sort of uneasy queasiness. I managed to get it somewhat under control using ginger tea and relaxation, but by far the two things that help the most with the nausea are the LEAP program and the 25mg of Elavil I take every night. After starting LEAP there have been more days without nausea than with it, and when I have it it's very mild and easily gotten rid of with Altoids, ginger tea, or sometimes by just eating something (because when my stomach is empty I get nauseated). By FAR nausea is the most troublesome symptom I ever had with the IBS. It would really bring me down into a "I can't handle this anymore!" funk a lot of times just because it would NOT go away. I know exactly how you feel!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Some people do experience nausea and vomiting with IBS
Nausea is generally not a symptom of IBS and it really means there something else going on although it is possible for there to be a common underlying problem.You should probably get tested to determine if there is something wrong with gastric motility. For one thing, you should have sophisticated blood secreening done including serum serotonin levels.And you should probably get an electrogastrogram done.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:My doctor thinks that nausea is common in some of us.
But those probably don't just have IBS. Your doctor may not have the tools to make a more precise diagnosis though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Flux, when I was first diagnosed with possible IBS, I ran home to look it up on the internet, and read everything available. I only found maybe one or two mentions of nausea.I dont just get nauseated, though. I wretch for about 12 hours straight, along with the diarrhea. My new GI doctor has a theory that my colon starts spasming so badly, it backs everything up, right up to my stomach. And then the things in my stomach have nowhere to go, so I throw it up ( and quite violently,too). So far, nothing has stopped the vomiting, once I start to get sick.What do you think about my diagnoses of IBS? The doc says that for now, since all my tests have come up normal, we'll just have to go with the diagnoses. If the Bentyl and Levsin dont prevent me from getting sick, he'll do some more tests.So, flux, and everybody else, what else could it be?p.s. Young and restless, have you tried taking something like an antacid? Sometimes, for my in-between-episode nausea, something like prevacid or nexium will help.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:what is the purpose of a serum serotonin blood test? I've never had that done and you have me quite curious!
It is just a blood test to measure the amount of serotonin in your blood. It is also possible to measure metabolites of serotonin in the urine. It does seem that some people with IBS have higher than normal levels and that is most likely the cause of diarrhea, but it is also poossible to have carcinoid syndrome which are tumors in the gut floods the body with serotonin. Serotonin is a major player in triggering nausea and vomting and in fact, drugs related to alosetron (Lotronex) such as granisetron are used to treat this in persons receiving chemotherapy. So if one's gut was pumping out grossly abnormal levels of it might cause nausea.Related are gastrinomas which results in high levels of gastrin. I suppose that could also produce nausea and certainly glucagonomas.Heavy metal poisoining could mess up the gut and cause unexplained nausea, but I bet no member of the BB has ever had it done.The blood can also be tested for antibodies to parasites like giardia, which can also cause nausea.While these conditions are uncommon, they stand virtually no chance of being diagnosed if one does not have the relevant blood tests, which are a simple and easy way to screen out these conditions.
quote:My new GI doctor has a theory that my colon starts spasming so badly, it backs everything up, right up to my stomach. And then the things in my stomach have nowhere to go, so I throw it up ( and quite violently,too).
What your doctor describes is clearly not IBS. It's pseudo-obstruction. But you should see some of this such as dilated loops of small bowel on an x-ray. Did you have symptoms during your x-rays? I wonder if barium studies in the small bowel use too liquidy barium and that could have missed the dilated loops. In any case, you should get a sophisticated blood workup to rule out hormonal diseases and then consider going to a specialized center (Northwestern in Chicago and Penn State in Hershey PA) to have manometry done. You should certainly have antrodenal manometry and an electrogastrogram done.Do you have this arch in one or more of your fingerprints?
Is your condition cyclical, like you get it for some weeks, then nothing for months? That could be an indication you have cyclical vomiting sydrome.Finally, you may want an MRI t to see if there is no lesion in the brain near the vomiting center.(Your doctor is actually supposed to do all this!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have nausea almost all the time, never ever accualy been sick, but feel like it a lot. i have had blood tests,biopsi, tests, u name it.nothing found, so i am told it is a part of my ibs, but as we know one persons ibs is differant from anothers.u r not alone

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Flux, I've never seen any references to fingerprint patterns before in regards to digestive disorders. I, myself, have mostly circles and loops. I am taking low dose of Elavil to mess with the serotonin in my brain, so that's why the reference to a blood test for it piqued my curiosity. These tumors that you speak of, are they benign? I have had nausea for going on 10 years that seems to only be controlled by the Elavil. I doubt I could have things in my gut that long without them killing me. Well, I am off to look up gastronomis and glucagonomas. I have always maintained that I never fit the Rome or Rome II criteria for IBS but my doctors tell me it's IBS anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would rate nausea as my worst and most troublesome symptom. My doc, too, believes it is a symptom of IBS. I think it is highly subjective, because we know so little about IBS, that everyone's symptoms may be different, and I don't think it's at all absurd to think that nausea is a symptom!! (With the exception of, say, rectal bleeding and weight loss, I think it's difficult to tell someone, NO THAT'S NOT A SYMPTOM!)I think that one of the reasons nausea coexists with IBS is just because of all the digestive turmoil, you just feel so terrible!Amy

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: are they benign?
I think usually, but there is no physiological rule to say they have to be.
quote:I have always maintained that I never fit the Rome or Rome II criteria for IBS but my doctors tell me it's IBS anyway
I agree that your doctors have you misdiagnosed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've had nausea, but not due to my IBS, I mean IBS as the "main" cause. I get nausea when I have my anxiety/panic attacks. Not all the time though. My doctor wrote me a script for phenergan (promethazine is the generic name), (please excuse the spelling of it, I don't have my bottle nearby), it is used for nausea, and it works very, VERY well. I had to stop taking it because of the medication my MD put me on for my IBS, they just don't agree with each other "medically." So, I must say my answer to this question is NO, I do NOT get nausea from my IBS alone. YES, I do feel it along with the anxiety attacks, but that's quite normal for most.I hope you and your MD find the main problem, if it not be IBS related. I'm not saying it isn't related, because only "us" the ones who have IBS know our bodies...how we feel...and what symptoms we have from our IBS. I feel that sometimes we know more about IBS then our MD's, only because we study it, and try to find out everything there could possibly be out there to learn about IBS, at least I know I do this myself.Thanks all for reading.
Jadair--- :love: I must admit, that fingerprint thing was quite/rather interesting. I wonder if anytime soon our MD's will take our fingerprints?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.