Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

So I just need to commiserate. About 10 weeks ago I ate green onions (previously not an issue at all) and I wound up with a serious flare. The worst of the flare passed in a few days. Then I was pretty uncomfortable for a few more weeks. Now I'm in this place of just feeling bloated and uncomfortable with occasional stabbing pains and it's been going for weeks and weeks and weeks. Frankly, I'm just sick of it at this point. The worrying that it could tip over into awful pain again isn't helping.

I've had IBS all my life and generally try to look at the bright side but this last flare is pissing me off. I know WHY it's happening but I guess I feel like I'm doing everything right and it's STILL bugging me. Sometimes I feel like eating/doing whatever I want but I know that would be intestinal agony.

My stomach reacted badly to wheat, so I cut that out. Then it didn't like dairy. Okay. No dairy. Then it didn't like eggs...or sugar...or onions...broccoli, cabbage, raw veggies, fats, anything cold, chocolate, garlic, onions, beef... I'm pretty much down to chicken and rice but I am so tired of chicken and rice at this point that I find myself putting off eating.

But when I limit what I eat, I get too hungry and that makes my stomach cramp up and hurt. So I eat. Then I have diarrhea. Then I'm starving and it makes the cramping worse. So I eat. Then I have diarrhea. Just REALLY sick of this whole thing.

I don't mean to be demanding, but I have so many things I'd love to do but between the IBS and anxiety I feel SUPER limited. It's hard to go out and have fun with friends or try new things when you feel you could double over at any second. I'm pretty good at enjoying books, tv, working from home, limiting running around until good days, etc. And I have wonderful friends who work with me and stop by to see me or meet nearby where I don't have anxiety or restaurants that don't cause my IBS to get cranky. But SERIOUSLY? Who do I write to about a user friendly intestinal tract?

Few people understand it so I wanted to share here.

I'm going back over my notes to see what I need to do to get my stomach in order (I keep a notebook with what's worked during previous flares). Starting on a pro-biotic again which has helped in the past.

Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Reed,

I can definitely relate. I'm going through a slight rough patch myself right now. I'm still loads better than I was when I started on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet a few months ago, but my gut has been acting up for the past several days, most likely due to some new foods that I added a bit aggressively. I hope things settle down for both of us!

"Who do I write to about a user friendly intestinal tract?"

Thanks for the laugh. :)

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich. You just get to a point, you know? I picked up some probiotic so I start with that again today and it's helped in the past and it's good to have something I know will help. I also went in to the chiropractor today and learned my back - right at stomach level, is COMPLETELY knotted and in spasms. They worked on it and my stomach is feeling better as well. I go back in a few days to get more work done but it's good to know that the IBS can trigger back stuff and vice-versa.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi TVgirl, I have really great doctors and have been checked for everything from diverticulitis to gall bladder to kidney, etc. issues and they've been as non-invasive about it as possible. I have the classic IBS stuff but I feel really lucky that I've found answers for most of the time. When I get REALLY stressed, it comes out. I think I'm predisposed to having certain foods trigger the IBS and most of the time those foods just cause a little gurgle but when stressed they wreck havoc.

We ruled out gallbladder with an exam and also eating fatty foods. Fatty foods don't bug me at all. We ruled out diverticulitis through exam and also nuts don't bug me at all. Good suggestions though because the symptoms are so similar. This flare followed the same old same old I've had since I was a very small child. Fortunately, with a lot of dietary changes and changes in how I handle stress, my IBS has improved markedly over the years. As a kid, I was sick almost ALL the time. I nearly had to retake 9th grade because I was sick so much.

Thankfully, my IBS is tapering off from this flare. I'm still sticking with safe foods and need more work on my back and the nerve bundle on my spine right behind the stomach but I can do my life for the most part. Just need to be sure a bathroom is nearby and I can rest as needed. It's a balancing act. If I do too much, I have a flare. If I don't do enough, I have a flare. So I am trying to find the balance there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to sort out what to do at this point. I am, thankfully, not in too much pain right now but I'm in the cycle of feeling really hungry, eating something that is (for me) IBS friendly, having almost immediate diarrhea, even with rice. Then I feel really hungry right after so I eat something and have diarrhea again. This is typical but I never know what to do with it. I feel like taking Immodium but then I'm concerned I'll wind up with bad constipation. Thinking I'll just see what the probiotic does. Kind of a suck fest though. One of the reasons I get anxiety with IBS is that there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer. Ideas are certainly welcome. When I get into this cycle, I wind up losing a lot of weight. Fortunately, I'm at the point in life where I have 20 lbs. to play with before I'll get concerned. Just don't want to get to that point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts