Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the main forum readers on here who have helped will know i was diagnosed with IBS a few months ago but for the past few months I have now started getting this horrible tight throat sensation and just wondered if IBS can actually cause this? I was given Omprazole which did at first work but now doent? I also get pains about 2 inch above my belly button and have just been given Domperidone to stop these which seem to be working so far. They only appear when i wake up but when i get up they seem to go.The constant green mushy stools since about February is also still an issue, i only go once per day sometimes twice but its always the same green mush!It seems to me I am still having digestive issues that are still unresolved, I'm just sick of the tight throat feeling as it realy unnerving!Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started having that same problem a little over a year ago. I thought I had a hiatal hernia, but the doctor seemed to think it was GERD, although I didn't have actual acid reflux, just the tightness and belching. The main thing that's helped me is to simply wear more loose-fitting clothing. Less pants and more dresses. It eases the pressure. Also smaller, more snack-like meals throughout the day helps, as the tightness often appears when I need to eat and the stomach acid's got nothing to munch on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm curious to know what this 'tight throat' feels like. I may well have had it, and recently. I tend to get a tight throat feeling in autumn.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also get tight throat... it is because of acid reflux.... not pleasant... usually some burping might accompany it. I get it often in the evening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also get tight throat... it is because of acid reflux.... not pleasant... usually some burping might accompany it. I get it often in the evening.
Tight throat, or sometimes a lump in the throat sensation can be caused by anxiety. And anxiety is a common factor amongst both IBS and the lump in the throat sensation. I have really seen a strong link between anxiety and IBS.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Sorbsy,If you get tight-throat in the autumn, it could be ragweed allergies too.... ragweed season runs from mid August to mid-October. I know, I get allergy shots for it. The tight throat could be that but definitely acid-reflux can cause it too. It is at the base of the throat where you might feel the tightness.Yarm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tight throat, or sometimes a lump in the throat sensation can be caused by anxiety. And anxiety is a common factor amongst both IBS and the lump in the throat sensation. I have really seen a strong link between anxiety and IBS.
I get this feeling too, had godawful anxiety this week due to my bowels and now on meds for it but still got the 'lump', makes it very difficult to eat too
Which makes my acid reflux even worse....so I feel sick..going round in circles mainly! Have anti-sickness meds but doesn't work on the lump unfortunatelyEdited March 2011 - mine was nothing to do with Acid in the end - a few weeks later was hospitalised and it turned out I had a thymoma, which was putting pressure on the windpipe...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started having a sore throat and pressure in my chest last summer. My doctor said it was acid reflux and prescribed the same thing (Omiprazole.) It made me so nauseated that I started throwing up every morning so I stopped taking it. I wasn't sure what to do until a friend who had had similar problems suggested drinking Aloe Vera juice. You can buy it at Wal-Mart in the digestion section (with the Metamucil and Miralax and stuff like that. It's usually on the bottom shelf). Drink about 1/4 of a cup, mixed in with some juice like apple or grape. (I wouldn't use orange, since it's so acidic). Or they have a flavored kind that isn't too bad. I know it sounds weird, but it really does help. Both my friend and I saw our heartburn pain go away after drinking the juice consistently for a week or two. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.