Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if IBS can just dissapear for good. Is there a statistic out there ? For a long time I had IBS every day, than, after years I have some breaks in between. Right now I have IBS symptoms every day again but fllactuating in severity. I always hear that younger people have IBS. Does it get better when you get older ? Just wondering>

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Scientists see a remission rate.I've seen stats that the rate is like 5-10% per year. I've also seen that for those with PI-IBS (so symptoms for more than 6 months) something like 60% or maybe it was more are in remission somewhere between the 2 and 5 year mark.So it can take awhile, but for a some people it does go into remission.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. For the last 2 months my IBS seems gone and things are getting better and better. If in the beginning I still had some gas every now and then and maybe a one or two day episode now it is all gone....the gas, the D, the lose stools, everything. It didn't go away all of the sudden but little by little it just started not to be there. The only times I get some gas now is if I get really really nervous for some reason but I've had that all my life now and it was never real trouble. I noticed that in time the thing that helped me the most to recover was just to calm down ...LOL, which is a pretty hard thing for me to do. Amazingly it worked. Less I worried about things and just kept my mind focused on nice thoughts better I felt and the gas and the weird stools went away.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I had occasional bouts of IBS back when I had a sleep disorder. so that was the late 80's early 90s than that went away for several years when I started actually sleeping at night.In 1997 I got IBS really bad after a GI infection and in 1998 I was lucky enough to get into a clinical trial that started the healing process. Afterward I was able to control it completely with a lot less medication than gave me just a little control before I did the CBT and then over the course of a couple of years after that it faded to where I didn't need the medications anymore. It's been gone since then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This post has given me hope! :(I'm confident that I will get better. I've been working hard to alter my lifestyle and diet to combat the problem! My family and friends are really supportive too. Sometimes I wonder if I'll have it forever but hearing this has helped.Can I ask what sort of symptoms you had and how bad they were?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why cant my IBS go into remission
unfortunately not everybody's the samei've had ibs for nearly 2 years (it'll be 2 years in november)my father used to suffer badly from ibs but now he's fine, hardly gets any bother from it, he used to be running to the toilet but hardly goes now as much, hopefully it'll be the same case for me, if not i'll have to just live with itfortunately my hemmorhoids are away, i would be the happiest man in the world if the ibs disappeared toowhy is it, some times when cleaning yourself there doesn't seem to be an end to it even when feeling satisfied after a BM and there isn't an urge to do more?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.