Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've been doing ok the past few weeks taking imodium and digestive advantage, but today i had a lactulose drink for the hydrogen breath test, and my symptoms went through the roof maybe 12 hours later. I haven't been this bad in months. Can it cause that to happen?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I do not know how much one needs to consume for that test but here: http://www.healthline.com/goldcontent/lactulose it lists it as a "laxative".. so I would say yeah if one is prone to D.. and one takes it.. one could have a flare up.Hopefully you will be back to your 'normal' within a day or two.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For the SIBO breath test you use lactulose not lactose. You have to use a sugar ALL humans get to the colon, not just some. They do breath tests with lactose to check for lactose intolerance as well.Lactulose is used as an osmotic laxative, so if you had a laxative effect that would not be a surprise.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes, you are right, Kathleen. I was asking about this at the hospital today and they said it was used. I think it would certainly make me worse if I had to undergo that test. I did the test with lactose-hence my confusion- and that made me worse too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.