Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem, I have hard lumpy stools, and i have a fissure so i been taking stool softnere at night, and one full dose of citrucel in the morning, but when i go to the bathroom, my stools are very large and it hurts very bad, because of the fissure. Im just wondering if im getting too much fiber? Is that possible? I have a bowel movement daily , it just seems that they are very large, I dont know how to fix this problem, does any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My suggestion would be to increase your daily intake of water. The water might help to make the stool softer. Also I take 400 milligrams of Magnesium Citrate at night which really softens things up.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well the stool softer in combination with the fiber should be making the stools easier to pass, so you may need to stay on the combination. OTOH, I think it is worth doing a trial of just the stool softener, unless this has been bad in the past for you. Make sure your drinking plenty of water, as the body when thirsty, will pull water out of the colon. For me fiber adds a little to the width, but mostly to the length, so I don't know how much eliminating fiber would help me. Straining to get rid of hard stools may be worse for you than passing larger, softer ones.So I think only a trial run of no extra fiber will help determine if it will make things better til you heal or not, but given that there are some things the fiber may be helping with I dunno which side of the fence to come down on.K.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would advising substituting the soluble fiber (Citrucel, fruit, beans, oats) with some insoluble fiber like wheat bran. From what I have read, it seems soluble fibers have a tendency to "firm things up."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.