Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a flare up on Wednesday after a particularly hectic and long day at work. i assumed that this was the cause, but when looking at my food diary, i noticed my soy intake has increased alot recently. In my "coffe" in the morning, with my cereal, a cup during the day, soy cheeses in my lunch and dinner. When i went on a strict simple diet of just bread, peppermint tea, and water for a few days, my bloating receded. I caved two days this weekend and endulged in a vodka and cranberry two nights- which i usually pay for with discomfort and bloating. The difference is that i continued the strict tummy rest diet of bread and water- i am not swollen today and i am due to get my period in 2 days! (Normally my period is a huge trigger in itself.) Not that i am complaining (god, no!
) but i should be swollen because of all these triggers...the only thing different in my diet lately has not included any insoluble fiber or soy- this makes me question the amount of soy i can handle. Has anyone else had bloating, gas and discomfort due to an OD of soy products?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah- soy ice cream was great! for a while, that is- but last time i got terribly queezy, then crampy, gassy and bloated- i had blamed it on the coldness of it! What am i gonna do? Could i be allergic???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Again- soy killed me last nite and again this morning.....why all of a sudden? I was drinking and eating lots of soy products before with no problem! Now it is really tearing me up, i get nausious and cramping in my stomach (thank you, gastritous), then cramps, a pain in my left side and horrilble urgent BM's- and i am IBS-C! What else can i substitute for dairy other than soy?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used to be able to do soy ice cream, soy milk, soy cream cheese, soy sour cream, soy cheeses.....but i think i must have OD'ed!
Even after a week without soy, i got terribly ill after a bowl of cereal with soy milk!
Anyone have good experience with rice milk?
Is it possible to become sensitive to soy overnight after being able to tolerate it for so long?

·
Registered
422 Posts
One thing that my doctor told me was that with IBS, you have to be careful not to eat too much of one thing. I don't know the reasoning behind it. I just remember him saying it to me a few times. I would think it would be the opposite....you know to stick to a diet your body was really familiar with. Maybe that's why he's the doctor and I'm not. I haven't tried the rice milk.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Soy raises havoc with my hormones. The phytoestrogens cause me to have terrible breakouts and flares my asthma. UGH! And I've been without all my female parts for 12 yrs.I have to avoid soy and food/drink with carmel coloring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to have several soy products a day because of my vegetarian diet. I noticed that when I eat soy I get much worse--my stomach has problems AND my brain gets foggier than normal! I've heard of this before, too, so I'm thinking (regardless of how much I love soy) that soy may not be all it's made out to be.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
soy comes from a soy bean, You know what they say about beans. Beans, beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you toot.
I agree with Nellie, about not eating to much of one thing. You need to eat a balanced diet. Try boiled rice, and chicken and green beans. That usually agrees with me, altho I have enuf bad bacteria in me that I still have stinky gas all the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm- i have not tried the Lactaid because when i read the ingredients it has fat free milk in it....any dairy sends me into a flare up in a matter of hours! i am a little scared...yogurt too... and i MISS yogurt <sniff!sniff!>
I tried Rice Dream rice milk today and no problems! YAAAAAYYY!!!!
I was doing the happy dance around the kitchen after an hour went by with no problems!! AND- no bloat!Sarahnelle- it is interesting what you said about your head being foggier! I have been foggy and light-headed with headaches for days! I thought it was lack of protein, or allergies....now you have me thinking perhaps it had something to do with the soy!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ohhh I love rice dreams frozen yummies (can't remember the name). Nothing in this world can compare to them. It's cookie on either side with frozen soy 'ice cream' inside and is vanilla, chocolate or mocha. But what a mess I become after indulging! Ugh.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Heather-Yes, it is milk, but it is supposed to be lactose free. The lactose is what causes me probs. If you've found and alternative....great! But you might give the lactaid milk a shot as well. Nelly

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is supposed to be the proteins in milk products that cause difficulty for IBSers. Apparently, but I have NO problem with dairy. As for soy, I abolished all soy products when I realized they were making me super gassy. I don't feel it is any loss as I have heard a lot of bad things about soy products, and personally I think they are disgusting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello, im new. i just wanted to say that i too developed an intolerence to soy. i started taking it because im lactose intolerent and i loved it. that is until one very random day it really upset my tummy and gave me really bad cramping. i thought it was a fluke but soy continued to upset me. it was terrible. so i had to stop using it. i stopped for a few months and had a little soy milk again and i was fine with it. after a while the same thing happend again. i dont know what happened or why, but it really sucks! as if its not hard enough living with ibs and not being able to use soy in place of dariy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well gee. Here I just decieded to switch from my good old 2% milk to soy milk and now there seems to a problem with it. I have yet to even open it. How frusting. I guess I 'll try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi, Zippnround- Welcome to the group! Your story sounds just like what i experienced! Stinks doen't it? I was so excited that there were so many soy products i bought a lil of everything...soy cream cheese on my bagel, soy sour cream on my pototo....soy milk on my cereal...now it is all no good! BUT- i did try RICE DREAM rice milk and it did not upset me at all! In fact- for the first time in a long time i am not bloated at all! I guess the soy was irritating me a little bit all the time (my abdomen was always hard and a little distended) and it finally said "enough!" by making me ill!Try the Rice milk- i got the enriched so it has some vitamins in it- and it tastes pretty good for psuedomilk!Loveholli- soy might be ok with you- try it and see....i have noticed that we all have our own limits with things- i know there are IBS-C sufferers that can have fat-free mayo- and it IMMEDIATELY kills me!!!!!! Good luck! I hope it works out!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Rice milk is nothing but rice flour and water. There was a recipe on the board at one time, on how to make your own, but it was a lot of messing around. Be sure to shake it good each time or you will wind up with starchy stuff in bottome of box/bottle.I use it on cereal is about all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.