Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes sounds dull but the last few days i have ibs in the throat around my adams apple and high up in my chest?I always have my ibs high but not this high?Does anyone else have this inflamation in the throat and a tug in the chest as a result of a wind based sensation?In case anyone says GERD. It is not acid had all tests for that.thanks

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Jamie, Yes I know what you mean.IBS can manifest itself anywhere along the GI tract, as MNL might say, from "under the hood, to tail pipe".
I have had the symptoms you describe. I attributed it to spasms just having their way with me.If this is a new symptom, ya might want to give your Doc a call.Hope it passes for you soon.BQ

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi..could it possibly be a hiatal hernia you are dealing with? The symptoms sound similiar to an experience I had when first diagnosed with the HH.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a hiatal hernia and I have problems swallowing sometimes. When eating there is pressure in my chest and finally after a big gulp and swallow, the food goes down. Its a weird feeling.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah fortunately or unfortunately not, i had me endoscopy done a while ago. They put it down to ibs. But the definition isn't eactly right is it?j

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
After I ate it felt like somthing was stuck in my throat. Like getting a sore throat. I was always trying to clear it. when it first happened I had to leave work it was so bad, I though all the saliva was going to fill my lungs up. I beleive this was caused by a reaction to the pesticide malathion but have no proof. It spread to a feeling of ear pain, like when going up and down in elevation. I control it with diet. And of course its also in the colon most of the time, the phamtom pain you could call it. I gargled with salt water like with a true sore throat, but this feeling was different somehow. like the difference between stomach flu and IBS. The illness always being a bit worse.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re IBS definition, my view is that while something like the Rome criteria (pace Flux) may not include symptoms effecting the throat, and hence, technically, it's not IBS, symptoms can go hand in hand with the 'textbook' IBS symtoms and hence doctors will put these symptoms (eg tightness or spasm in the throat) down to IBS.That's not to say it shouldn't be checked, which is just what you've done to exclude other conditions.Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts