Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doctor suspects IBS after most everything else checked OK. I see by a lot of posts that most here have C or D along with the abdominal pain. My abdominal area hurts and I will burp for hours but no C or D at all. I am on previcid for acid, but if I have IBS,what good is previcid? Again I guess I had too big a lunch but a very lite dinner. This stuff is so miserable. I wish it were a gallbladder problem so it could be removed. In about two hours I will feel Ok again, its just lasting till then.Jerry

·
Registered
455 Posts
It was years before my IBS included C or D. I mainly had pain (& quite a lot of burping) as my early symptom(s). This may have been one reason why my diagnosis took so long. They kept asking if I had C or D, I said no so they kept ruling out IBS!!Now I still have mainly pain but also C that goes with it....I've no idea what previcid is so can't comment on that.Have you had any tests, or checked your diet for foods you may be intolerant to?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What you described is not IBS.It sounds more related to your upper intestine.
quote: In about two hours I will feel Ok again, its just lasting till then.
You should probably have your esophagus/stomach checked out further.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jerry,Everyone, even the most cast iron stomachs (like my Husband's) has some kinds of foods they can't tolerate. Does this pain usually occur after you've eaten a large meal or can you get it anytime after eating? Large meals can cause problems for most people. Heck, even my Great Dane can bloat if I feed her too much at one time.If you get pain anytime after eating, then you might also want to keep track of what you've eaten when you get this pain. For instance, a lot of IBS sufferers have problems with raw onions. For me onions will cause my IBS to go crazy
, but it will also give me upper GI problems as well.Maybe you have IBS and maybe you don�t. Like Flux, I�m also leaning towards upper GI problems. Although, who knows, maybe this is how IBS starts out for some. It�s been 18 years since I first came down with IBS so I can�t remember if it started out like yours or not.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I agree that it sounds more upper GI than lower GI. Especially if they gave you Prevacid.Now you don't need full blown diarrhea or constipation for IBS.Just a change in frequency or consistancy that goes along with pain.Some people have more stool issues and less pain and some more pain and less stool issues. If only one or the other it can still be functional but isn't IBS.K.PS a goodly percentage (like 10% give or take several % points) get chronic diarrhea after having the gall bladder removed, so it isn't always they take it out and everything is great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry it took so long to check on this post. Had to teach last night, it was difficult. I have been on Previcid for years. At one time I was being treated for panic attacks that they thought might be reflux induced. Recentlty I have had an Endoscopy, CT scan (thought I might have Cohron's), Colonoscopy, SBFT (barium swallow), and ultrasound. All negative. My primary care Doc "suspects" IBS since everything else seems fine. He is having me try Zelnorm (I know it is for women, but he wants to try it). My abdominal area is "sore" most all the time but is worse after certain meals - onions are a killer. Today the soreness is low in the abdomen, just below the navel and to the right a little. I am begining to think it may be stress induced. Really I am at a loss and just pray that I might get this figured out. I am trying to keep track of my foods now to see what might be the trigger. Thanks all for your reply.
Jerry

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.