Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share. Been on this board before. After exhausting all revenues for my GI disorders I finally went and Googled Candida and to my amazement all my symptoms fit Candidiasis. Food intolerance, fructose, lactose, gluten, allergies I never had before, loss of energy, severe gas and abdominal pains due to above intolerances, joint pain, GERD and list goes on and on. I beleive I had a bout of Giardiasis a year ago and my beneficial flora got all messed up thereby allowing the normal candida yeast to form the fungal form as it was not kept in check. I already knew by trial and error I could not eat high fructose corn syrup, lactose, soy and refined flours. I have been on a total sugar(all kinds) and carb free diet for 4 days know and symptoms are already dissipating. Basically all I eat is meats and non starchy veggies, lots of raw garlic, kale, onions as they have antifungal properties. Since Candida needs sugars and simple carbs to survive I am trying to starve them by diet. The concept of a leaky gut seems to be what has been my problem. I am also taking Acidophilus tabs. The gurgling and gas is totally gone already and stools are back to normal. I know it will probably take many months to rid my entire body but sure is a good start. Tell you one thing there sure isn't a whole lot of things I am basically on a South Beach diet without the fruit. I have also read grapefruit seed extract is helpful but haven't used any yet. Anyhow this is a great board and thought I would share. I will update as time goes on.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Candida and to my amazement all my symptoms fit Candidiasis.
There is no such condition. However, it's not uncomon for reducing carbohydrates to reduce symptoms. A lot of carbs aren't digested well and load up on in the colon. The colon in IBS is senstive, so reducing its load may reduce symptoms.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi, swen, and welcome to the board. I think that was flux's way of saying welcome too.I agree with all you wrote and, as for the candidiasis, I did a google search and came up with 594,000 results for the word. Doesn't that suggest that it could be for real?Please continue to share with us. With candidiasis, a strict diet goes hand in hand with anti-fungals. I've used caprylic acid, grapefruit extract, coconut oil, anti-parasite herbs and probiotics. I still have a long way to go, but get better results with this type of therapy than anything else I have tried.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Doesn't that suggest that it could be for real?
Of course not. There is a real condition by the same name. It has nothing to do with the condition described above, which does not exist.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The strange thing about Candidas is that the list of symptoms often ranges in the 100s....so that just about anyone with any kind of malady can consider themselves as possibly infected. Western medicine does not recognize systemic candidas (unless immune system is severly compromised, like AIDS sufferers). I not only have IBS, but I also have chronic fungal infections on my feet and upper torso (good candidate for Candida, right?) I have tried a large amount of anti-fungal supplements and none of them worked for me....they actually made my symptoms worse temporarily (but the manufacturers will tell you it's the fungus dying off). Give it a try, but don't get your hopes up too much....I feel it's just a "magic potion" hoax that claims to cure all illness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I am very interested in what you wrote. I am hoping that you could give me the web address of the things you read I did a search and there is so many and I am hoping to read the article that you refer to as I am hoping it will be helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow have read the pages that you have enclosed on the wed address. Not much left to eat with this diet. But none the less worth a try I thank you for posting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sherry,Just dropping in for update. About 10 days now and all my GI issues are still gone. I am going to introduce sugars back in the diet but not for a while and will just do fruit at first in small quantities but do not think I will ever eat as much sugar or simple carbs as I used to. If you get lightheaded try eating just 1 choc kissy. I put brown rice back in my diet every other day and so so far so good. I am also eating 1 glove raw galic a day and 2 acidophilus pills along with my meat, eggs and leafy greens diet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, we are on a very similar diet it seems like. My doctor (he's a traditional western doc, but is really enlightened to eastern philosophies and natural remedies) started me on it two years ago and the results have been amazing. Keep it up, it's really hard to say goodbye to sugar, but my life has done a complete 180 since I stopped eating sweets, that makes it a bit easier to say no to pancakes
One thing you might want to try - when you eat bread or any kind of carbohydrates, make sure you have protien with it or right before (like if you are eating brown rice and chicken for dinner, have a couple of bites of chicken first, then have some rice) When you eat bread on an empty stomach it goes right into your bloodstream as sugar, just as if you ate a candy bar. If you have protien in your stomach first, your stomach is busy breaking down that protien so when you eat the bread a little bit later it breaks down into sugar much slower.Good luck, keep us updated!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fluxand you certainly sound like you are always in a state of flux how the f*ck do you know there isnt such a thing as candida? I see your posts and I really dont think you have a clue about anything and how dare you judge someone if theyre feeling better?? If you are such a big time dr about everything why the hell are you even on this forum? Obviously you have something wrong with you or you have absolutely no life and hang around here out of nothing better to do. I hope that one day you ARE better so that you dont have to make yourself feel better by making others feel worse. And there is such a thing as candida you moron, because everyone has it in their intestine as a normal part of bowel flora -

·
Registered
22 Posts
without wanting to sound lazy would it be possible to take some form of oral anti-fungal drug (whats an "anti-fungal supplement"?)and keep the same diet? Clearly there would be a chance of recurrance, but assuming (as Swen does) that the original imbalance was triggered by a infectious disease (in this case Giardiasis) and that this disease is no longer present it would figure that the imbalance would not return - presumably it would be prudent to take lots of pro-biotic stuff.I first got my symptoms after moving to Japan (from the UK) and I know that lots of people who had moved initially had some bowel problems (probably traveller's diarrhoea or similar) but that their problems disappeared after a few months. Mine did not and are still present even after returning to the UK.Although it is generally acccepted that only the immunosuppressed are at risk of systemic candida, is it not possible that a candida infection localised in the g-i tract could cause IBS (type) symptoms?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You MUST adhere to the diet initially. For some people it will be a matter of weeks, for others it might take months and months and months. Diet and anti-fungals go hand in hand and probiotics are useful too.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
kareann,the thing is that doctors don't beleive in Candida overgrow.It seems that the naturopath uses it to dupe their custumers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI spayeah i know - thats the unfortunate thing but just because they dont doesnt mean we cant explore it does it? I never take no for a answer, the same could be true for the doctors as well, they say it doesnt exist because they make money off of taking your insides out. who knows, its a stand off but at the end of the day whatever makes you healthy is the way to go, what do you think? I know of a really good site that you may want to visit (not curezone) its called Ask Shelley you may of heard of it - read some stuff, she's got great advice and its not off the wall like some of the curezone stuff http://www.askshelley.com let me know if you cant acess it, im not so great a posting links karenhow do you post links here?

·
Registered
101 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SpAsMaN*:kareann,the thing is that doctors don't beleive in Candida overgrow.It seems that the naturopath uses it to dupe their custumers.
NO, Spasman, there is a book that talks about the phenomenon which occured in the eighties that split the medical community practically in half. SOME doctors believe in Cadidaitis while OTHERS do not.P.s. Going on the candida diet helped me immensely. I soon learned I had intolerances to things with yeast as well as gluten.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally most allopathic medical doctors (MD's) do not believe in it.Almost all naturopathic, chiropractic or other alternative doctors believe in it.There are a few in each camp that bat the other way, but for the most part it is only the alternative medical community that embraced it whole heartedly.They did when this first erupted in the '80's do some initial studies in IBSers and found they didn't have Candida.Now the standard Candida diet and some of the other things they use to treat it also happen to work fairly well for a lot of IBSers just because of how that diet effects the GI tract in any person.K.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts