Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Candida-based approaches are generally highy overrated, as well as disregarded by medical profession.From an alternative health perspective, I also think the candida approach is overrated (and maybe unfounded). Still let us know if it really works for you and many others who post at this site. But don't get your hopes up. When a site over-generalises by saying something is caused by "imbalance", you know they dont know what they're talking about.tread warily...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH, I haven't tried it...I was hoping to see what other people had experienced with it first. I don't jump into a new treatment without doing some kind of research. I think what really got me was looking at the symptoms and seeing "rash in the ears" - I've had that for some time now, even tried changing shampoos.So, I thought I would ask

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
From what I�ve read, the imbalance of low beneficial bacterial & overgrowths of pathogens that occurs in IBS patients is varied, as to the type of pathogens. Yeast is usually found in higher #s when other pathogens are also over-populating. Their interactions with the gut wall cause the inflammation.So in other words, candida is just one of many possibilities~Here�s a good list of poss overgrowths in IBS from PubMed~�Markers of Cl. perfringens, Cl. difficile, Enterococcus, Streptomyces, Enterobacterial, Klebsiella, E. coli, Peptostreptococcus, Candida Albicans, genus of Streptococcus, of Staphylococcus, of Fusobacterium sp and others microorganisms were revealed.� http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=11565126 Here�s an ex of mycobacterium effecting IBS:"There is a real chance that the MAP bug may be inflaming people's gut nerves and causing IBS." http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3130173.stm C. Difficile:Clostridium Difficile: Colitis Toxins A & B. This is a common and potentially serious infection that can develop after antibiotic use. A common cause of irritable bowel and IBD/ulcerative colitis. http://www.biodia.com/html/guides/test401.html Campy:�Increased rectal mucosal enteroendocrine cells, T lymphocytes, and increased gut permeability following acute Campylobacter enteritis and in post-dysenteric irritable bowel syndrome.��CONCLUSION: Increased EC, T lymphocytes, and gut permeability are acute changes following Campylobacter enteritis which can persist for more than a year and may contribute to PD-IBS.� http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...9&dopt=Abstract Klebsiella spp. and enterococci:�Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a poorly understood gastrointestinal condition affecting approximately one-fifth of the UK population, with a higher prevalence in women and accounting for up to half of referrals to gastroenterology clinics in the UK. It is characterized by abdominal pain, excessive flatus, variable bowel habit and abdominal bloating with no evidence of organic disease. IBS commonly occurs after gastroenteritis or following a course of antibiotics. Suggested aetiologies include motility and psychological disorders and psychophysiological phenomena, although there is also evidence that disruption to the intestinal microbiota can play a role in IBS. Episodes such as hysterectomy, first incidence of bacterial gastroenteritis or a course of antibiotics have been shown to contribute to symptoms compatible with those of IBS. The intestinal microflora in IBS has been shown to differ from that of healthy individuals. Faecal microfloras of IBS patients harbour higher numbers of facultative organisms, such as Klebsiella spp. and enterococci, and low numbers of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. The role of probiotics in IBS has not been clearly defined. http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/app/...esresults,3,62; This ties food reactivity to the overgrowths & abnormal colonic fermentation:�The faecal microflora in IBS has been shown to be abnormal with higher numbers of facultative organisms and low numbers of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. Although there is no evidence of food allergy in IBS, food intolerance has been identified and exclusion diets are beneficial to many IBS patients. Food intolerance may be due to abnormal fermentation of food residues in the colon, as a result of disruption of the normal flora.� http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=12215182 _________________________This is my -brief- way of saying, if you�ve got abnormal overgrowth of Candida, you�ve also probably got other overgrowths to address as well.And there's the matter of normalizing the inflammation.Hope you don�t mind all of the references, but the more you know�
Talissa

·
Registered
400 Posts
I haven't tried this. I have been treated for Candida by my doctor, contrary to what scottswotty says. While it didn't totally get rid of the "IBS" I am MUCH improved. Like the ad says, I have to stay on the diet. According to this you just take the stuff & your symptoms stay away. But something interesting, my doctor took me off all yeast, which is in the formula. ??? I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it, also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Candida causes IBS(!):www.candidasupport.org/www.uwisa.org/candida-recipes.htmlwww.equip.nhs.uk/topics/digest.htmlwww.web.ms11.net/mayapple/ai.htmwww.webhealth.co.uk/Self_Help_and_Support_Groups_R/Candida_Self_Help_And_Support_/candida_self_help_ ainfo###candida-society.org.ukwww.chronic-fatigue-syndrome.net/www.medhelp.org/healthtopics/Candida.htmlwww.mgh.org/lab/CATALOG/TESTS/1610.HTM"Candida Yeast proliferate in the digestive tract in persons known to have IBS, especially in those north of the Mason-Dixon Line."Can't we put the yeast issue to bed? If not, maybe there should be a separate forum for the "Yeastie Boys" (and girls).Frankly, I'm not convinced either way that yeast, is, or is not, the villain with IBS, but I'm concentrating my efforts in other places.

G

·
I found that by taking a capsule of a special strain of probiotic called Culturelle, I was able to get rid of yeast infections, gas, and cramping. I don't remember who on this board recommended it to me a few years ago, but it's worked wonders. I now have normally formed, once daily stools for the first time in years and can again eat dairy, lettuce, broccoli, and a lot of other foods I couldn't eat before without major distress. For me, acidophilus GG was the answer. No more yeast problems. l'll take Culturelle for the rest of my life, and to whoever suggested Culturelle, a heartfelt thanks!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Well my impression of yeast free is it excludes breads , baked goods, biscuits, fruits. While it is true you can make yeast free bread, it is possible that since you just can't buy the food of the shelves in the supermarket your carb consumption will go down. Also fruits are a major source of carbs. Also quite a few of the milk sugars seem to be restricted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I sometimes make my own bread, but for the most part I buy it at a health food store. I make pizza with yeast-free crust and I eat LOTS of pasta and rice. I even eat Tostitos. My diet really isn't low-carb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.