Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get canker sores in your mouth and throat. I don't know if they are related to my IBS or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the symptoms of Celiac Disease is sores in the mouth.You might want to check that out (if you already haven't) because many symptoms are VERY similar to IBS.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. But after 40 years of symptoms, I don't know if it is celiac disease. Is there always weight loss with celiac disease? I certainly am not thin.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nerfmom,I get cankers too, don't have a clue as to why. I know that if I eat things that are spicy and have tomatoes in it I will break out with them shortly after. Do you have this too?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure what causes mine. I have had this problem since I was a child. Supposedly, canker sores are caused by the herpes virus(not the same as genital herpes but in the same family). I don't know if mine are related to IBS or not.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Try switching any products that you use (especially toothpaste) with sodium laurel sulfate-free varieties. For example, Rembrandt makes a canker sore formula toothpaste that is SLS-free and Biotene is all SLS-free. Handsoaps can also be troublesome is you say, eat a sandwich after washing with an SLS-based soap, for example.Changing toothpastes has been a HUGE help, though. And don't be fooled...some products hide SLS by calling it coconut soap (same thing from a natural source and just as bad).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember trying the toothpaste some time ago. I remember reading about toothpastes and canker sores. I don't remember if it helped or not, but I stopped using it for some reason. It is hard for this LOL (little old lady) to remember things.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My mother used to say that canker sores were related to stomach problems, so maybe IBS is part of that. I've had them all my life, perhaps once every few months, lasting about 5 to 7 days. I doubt everyone who gets canker sores has IBS or celiac though - it would be too obvious a give-away, and so far I've never read any medical information that says in effect "If you get canker sores, you have IBS or celiac".

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow this is so strange i was just about to ask about the same thing and saw it on here. This last 2 months I have been getting thrush or thats what i think it is everytime I get ready to go to the dr. about it. it seems to clear up and they can't do a culture. But it starts out with my lips being sore and then I wake up with a white coated tongue and lots of little cancer sores all over then the next day it is very sore and the white stuff comes off and my tongue is very smooth without tastebuds, but it hurts very bad. this also gives me a very bad taste in my mouth and a sore throat. I have had this four times now and my dr. said about the only way to get this is from anitbiotics which i have not had for a long time. I was also tested for celiacs and was found not to have it. so any suggestions? this is very painful*I do see a new gastro dr. next month and will bring it up to him. I did start up with my levsin last month is this a side effect nobody knows about?Laurie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get canker sores at least once a month, usually around my period. I think they're related to my acid reflux and not to my IBS, but they can defenatly be stomach linked. I've been told vitamin B helps, but only recently so I haven't tested the theory yet. They're caused by tiny blisters that pop in your mouth and if your lucky enough to notice the blister before it pops, holding ice on it will sometimes make it go away. Once the sores are there though I usually just treat them with numbing agents. I started out with Orajel and Chloroseptic which both worked, but I get them really bad, and now I use a product called Kanka and it numbs my mouth really wellBig Mama, that doesn't sound like canker sores at all, and to me (although I'm not by any means a doctor) it does sound a bit like thrush, a yeast infection of the throat and mouth that USUALLY only occurs in babies, the elderly, people on antibiotics, and people with weak immune systems. I had one a little over a year ago and it was accomanied by a yeast infection somewhere else as well. If you have a yeast infection in the more traditional sense and treat it with over the counter med. try asking for the prescription pill which will treat both. Otherwise get to the Dr. ASAP next time you break out. Oh, and does starchy sugery foods make it worse, cause that's a defenet sign of thrush.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
My wife has developed them and has been using a tea tree oil mouthwash that seems to be helping. (It will kill virus as well as bacteria.)Big Mama...If you have thrush, this same mouthwash will get rid of that, as well. (A paper was presented in Vancouver a few years ago at an AIDS conference that showed this as the only OTC that will do that.) Write me if you would like to talk about it.Cheers,Mark

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi, this is big mamma thanks for the replys,i just had an outbreak the other day but caught it in time with peroxide rinse and then scope. this seemed to get rid it of it fast.I was going to get to the dr. but it did not last long enough for a culture.but now i'm on my period and having wierd cramping pain and it's not a normal period so it might be related. so I am going to the clinic in the morning to get checked out.also having alot of heartburn tonight.I see my new gastro dr. next month see what he says.I was wondering if it was a wierd side effect of levisin since it started around the time i started back on that i cut the dose in half because of the extreme dry mouth. i could'nt even talk or sleep well because of the dry mouth and cutting the pills in half helped that.I do get alot of yeast infections but don't have the symptoms of one now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nerfmom:Does anyone else get canker sores in your mouth and throat. I don't know if they are related to my IBS or not.
I get canker sore too. my dr. said cause by lack of vitamins or if u don't drink enough water.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
quote:Originally posted by snakebite1985:
quote:Originally posted by nerfmom:Does anyone else get canker sores in your mouth and throat. I don't know if they are related to my IBS or not.
I get canker sore too. my dr. said cause by lack of vitamins or if u don't drink enough water.
Hi snake or should I call you bite,How are you? I think that there are many causes of canker sores. I just haven't figured out what causes mine. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nerfmom:
quote:Originally posted by snakebite1985:
Hi snake or should I call you bite,How are you? I think that there are many causes of canker sores. I just haven't figured out what causes mine. Maybe someday.
You get the sore in throat too? How do u know that?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can feel them and I can see them. They aren't that far back, so with a flashlight and a mirror I can see them. I seem to get several at a time, so I think it is either a food sensitivity or a virus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I struggled with canker sores years ago too. A few suggestions:1. visit the dentist when you have them next time and get it confirmed that these are indeed canker sores and not something else,2. my dentist suggested L-lysine, an amino acid that you can get at any supplement store. Sorry I don't recall the dose but you can ask your dentist about it. It helps with healing and it really did do the trick. Dentist also said for folks who get them bad, he can make up a nasty tasting but effective mix of maalox (to keep saliva and food acid off them), some numbing agent I think, and one other thing (maybe something to combat infection) that can be used as a mouthwas when they flare up. That was a few years ago, maybe there is something even better that can be done now.3. Canker sores indeed are considered a sign of celiac disease. It USED TO be thought that celiacs all lost weight and had diarrhea but recent experience & research is showing that celiacs can be overweight, can have constipation instead of diarrhea, and that it is more common than previously thought. If you do a websearch or go get a book from your library, it should help you learn about symptoms. A site like webMD or something would have basic info but wouldn't have the most detailed up to date information. I think celiac.com is the site I had looked at before. Celiac is a question in my case too but due to financial reasons, I haven't gone for the second opinion to get that question cleared up. Also, not all GI docs are up to date about the most recent developments re: celiac, just as not all are up to date about IBS. If you find a celiac support group in your area (a web search might help with that), they can probably suggest docs who are knowledgeable about celiac so that if you want to get a second opinion, you will be getting it from someone who knows what he/she is doing. That is what I did, so when I do go get the second opinion, I already know who I am going to go see. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts