Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some type of intestinal virus back in February this year 2022. It was pretty bad were I spent a week between the bed and the toilet. It started to get better but all my stools were still diarrhea preceded by lower abdominal cramps. Went to the Doctor 3 times in March. They did stool samples and said they were clear of any virus and no blood. I was using the military doctors(that I don't have much confidence in) since I'm retired from the military. All three times they sent me home telling me I should get better soon.

April I decided I'm done with the Military doctors and went to the VA as I'm also a disabled Vet. They set me up with GI appointment, more stool samples and a CT scan. What resulted in that I have inflammation in the colon. They scheduled a colonoscopy and a endoscopy which I just had done last week. They took biopsies from both ends and also found 2 polyps they removed. I just had a colonoscopy(it was due) in October 21 and they remove 2 so I guess they missed these other 2.
I'm still waiting on the pathology results but they suspect I have IBS brought on by the virus.

They along with the previous Doctors told me to be on the low FODMAP diet. I tried it and so far nothing seems to work. I have no problem right after eating and feel fine. Its always about 3 to 4 hours later when my food waste has made it to my bowels is when I start to have pretty severe cramping. I will then have diarrhea which relieves the pain. I'll feel fine for about 5 min or so and then the cycle starts again and this last for about an hour until all the waste is out and then I'm fine until the next meal.

I honestly don't think its what I'm eating as I tried everything and only now eat 2 meals a day that are pretty small. I've lost 20 lbs during this ordeal. I'm 5'11" was 185 and now 165. I'm 64 y/o male and physically in pretty good shape. I exercise and play golf...usually walking 3 days a week.

As mentioned I tried eating all the good food and during this whole ordeal and I actually had several days were I thought I was done with it. Normal large....lol... formed stools I was proud of...lol, and no cramping and feeling great all day but I do remember about 2 weeks ago I decided to have a salad for dinner and now back to square one with the cramping and diarrhea again, no matter what I eat....only before a BM. Can't figure it out.

Registered
I had some type of intestinal virus back in February this year 2022. It was pretty bad were I spent a week between the bed and the toilet. It started to get better but all my stools were still diarrhea preceded by lower abdominal cramps. Went to the Doctor 3 times in March. They did stool samples and said they were clear of any virus and no blood. I was using the military doctors(that I don't have much confidence in) since I'm retired from the military. All three times they sent me home telling me I should get better soon.

April I decided I'm done with the Military doctors and went to the VA as I'm also a disabled Vet. They set me up with GI appointment, more stool samples and a CT scan. What resulted in that I have inflammation in the colon. They scheduled a colonoscopy and a endoscopy which I just had done last week. They took biopsies from both ends and also found 2 polyps they removed. I just had a colonoscopy(it was due) in October 21 and they remove 2 so I guess they missed these other 2.
I'm still waiting on the pathology results but they suspect I have IBS brought on by the virus.

They along with the previous Doctors told me to be on the low FODMAP diet. I tried it and so far nothing seems to work. I have no problem right after eating and feel fine. Its always about 3 to 4 hours later when my food waste has made it to my bowels is when I start to have pretty severe cramping. I will then have diarrhea which relieves the pain. I'll feel fine for about 5 min or so and then the cycle starts again and this last for about an hour until all the waste is out and then I'm fine until the next meal.

I honestly don't think its what I'm eating as I tried everything and only now eat 2 meals a day that are pretty small. I've lost 20 lbs during this ordeal. I'm 5'11" was 185 and now 165. I'm 64 y/o male and physically in pretty good shape. I exercise and play golf...usually walking 3 days a week.

As mentioned I tried eating all the good food and during this whole ordeal and I actually had several days were I thought I was done with it. Normal large....lol... formed stools I was proud of...lol, and no cramping and feeling great all day but I do remember about 2 weeks ago I decided to have a salad for dinner and now back to square one with the cramping and diarrhea again, no matter what I eat....only before a BM. Can't figure it out.
Did you try the low FODMAP diet under the guidance of a FODMAP trained dietitian who explained the pitfalls and common IBS triggers found in low & high FODMAP foods?

饾悆饾惃饾悽饾惂饾悹 饾惌饾悺饾悶 饾惀饾惃饾惏 饾悈饾悗饾悆饾悓饾悁饾悘 饾悵饾悽饾悶饾惌 饾惍饾惂饾悵饾悶饾惈 饾惌饾悺饾悶 饾悹饾惍饾悽饾悵饾悮饾惂饾悳饾悶 饾惃饾悷 饾悮 饾悈饾悗饾悆饾悓饾悁饾悘 饾惌饾惈饾悮饾悽饾惂饾悶饾悵 饾悵饾悽饾悶饾惌饾悽饾惌饾悽饾悮饾惂 饾悽饾惁饾惄饾惈饾惃饾惎饾悶饾惉 饾惉饾惍饾悳饾悳饾悶饾惉饾惉 饾惈饾悮饾惌饾悶 饾悷饾惈饾惃饾惁 饾悮饾悰饾惃饾惍饾惌 饾煉饾煄% 饾惌饾惃 饾煏饾煋%.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, A doctor just gave me a chart of what's high, low or in-between. It' basically says(IMHO ) anything that taste bad I can have from they way it looks, I can have a couple beers....thank you Jesus!

I'm discovering some things on my own. I can eat bacon and eggs, waffles for breakfast and feel great. I thought cheerios with milk and fruit, like strawberries, raspberries, banana was good but its not. Coffee I can't drink at all....caffeinated anyway. I miss real coffee.

I was told to eat salads for fiber. Not bad at first but turned into being the worst thing I could eat. Worst cramps and diarrhea.

I'm safe with chicken so far but had problems with beef. Other times I was ok with beef.

As of today I'm mostly eating like an egg salad or chicken salad Sandwich for dinner....I haven't had lunch since this started in February.

Thanks for the reply

Registered
No, A doctor just gave me a chart of what's high, low or in-between. It' basically says(IMHO ) anything that taste bad I can have from they way it looks, I can have a couple beers....thank you Jesus!

I'm discovering some things on my own. I can eat bacon and eggs, waffles for breakfast and feel great. I thought cheerios with milk and fruit, like strawberries, raspberries, banana was good but its not. Coffee I can't drink at all....caffeinated anyway. I miss real coffee.

I was told to eat salads for fiber. Not bad at first but turned into being the worst thing I could eat. Worst cramps and diarrhea.

I'm safe with chicken so far but had problems with beef. Other times I was ok with beef.

As of today I'm mostly eating like an egg salad or chicken salad Sandwich for dinner....I haven't had lunch since this started in February.

Thanks for the reply
Gosh - reallly!!! Unfortunately all printed sheets are out of date and missing critical information.

The best source of information on how to follow the low FODMAP diet and the FODMAP content of foods is the Monash University GI department phone app. They are the group that developed the diet. It has a diary that allows you to record your food intake, IBS symptoms, bowel habits and stress levels.

The app cost about 9 USD/8 GBP. Updates are free and all of the money goes to support IBS research and improvement of the FODMAP diet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts