Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand there are certain foods one is supposed to avoid with IBS-D, but many of these are the things that help IBS-C. So in a way, opposite dietary needs, right? Well, what in heck are you supposed to eat if you have BOTH?? I was going along just fine, just a little C, for a month or so, then out of the blue came D, and it's lasted a week and a half. But I don't have D every day or even all day; sometimes I'll have D, then a few hours of pain and nausea--and then the pendulum swings and I am famished and consume anything in sight! In fact, I am doing that now.
Some days eating hurts me, some days nothing happens. If my condition were only a little more predictable, maybe I could get to the bottom of the diet issue.Anyone else with this problem? Prunes, for instance...the only food I can link to this D episode is a few prunes I had to help relieve C. Can a "bad" food trigger a weeks-long spell of D?? I can't even tell what foods are "bad" because something that appears to bother me one day, doesn't the next. I am frustrated. I'd just like this D episode to end; I feel much better with slight C!

·
Registered
336 Posts
It could be that your IBS has nothing to do with your diet. With the exception of the broad foods that IBSers should avoid (ie: fatty foods, spicy foods, etc), not everyone has issues with their diets. I know of one lady on here that is an alternater that can eat whatever she likes, and with any luck Nancy will post and tell you that herself! My IBS alternates as well, and though i can't find a certain food/s that is/are a trigger in the beginning I told myself that food had to be the problem and I cut a lot of foods out. Now I find myself struggling to put them back into my diet. I'm getting better, slowly. I just added orange juice back last week...
Independent of the dietary games - In my case, the trick is to balance things out - control the C and your stress levels and the rest should follow. It doesn't always work like that (for instance, right now my body is on a hormonal rollercoaster and is messing with my IBS something fierce!), but for the most part it does. I use Citrucel to regulate things and use hypnotherapy to manage stress.Just my experience.Hope you are feeling well today!kac

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
here I am
yes, I have fonud that diet is not a big trigger for me. there are some that are more likely to cause trouble like the fatty foods or maybe spicy. But only if overdone and only if I'm not doing well in general. heck, I've even eaten a lot of popcorn lately and that used to be a real problem in those periods.For me, I found it was much more key to find the stress triggers. and not so much find the triggers but to rewire myself to deal with them. I still take calcium mostly through my lactase supplement (and as a woman I need it anyway). And I admit to taking immodium when I think I need an insurance policy. But I try to be careful about that and take a lot less than I used to.I guess the main point is that we shouldn't all assume that food is a trigger for IBS. Sometimes it's not the big deal but we should look to other things.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also don't have food triggers and alternate C&D. I know how frustrating it is to try and find relief for one and triggering the other. I used to eat dried apricots to relieve the C and it would aggrevate the D. Seems like things are starting to balance a little now. I take Benefiber and prevacid in the morning. A multi vitamin with my first food of the day and 10mg Elavil at bedtime and Xanax as needed. This is my new routine for the last 2 weeks and although it may be too soon to tell, I think it's working. I've only needed like 3 Xanax in the last 2 weeks so I'm not over doing those.This all comes from about a year of trial and error and working closly with the Doc's to help relieve my misery.Knock on wood......I don't want to jinx it cause it has only been 2 weeks, but I haven't been symtom free for 2 weeks before this.Hope you can find something to work for you. Just wanted you to know you're not alone and I feel your pain and frustration.Take Care,Joyce :love:

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
my food triggers are fructose and sorbitol (fruits, veggies, HFCS-pop, juices). They give me gas or/and D. When i don't take fructoose i get C as i don't take enough fiber. Then i load up on fruit and veggie juices or baby carrots to relieve the C. However most of the time i am not around people so i have enough fructose to loosen up my stools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.