Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing the low FODMAP diet for a while, with mixed results. Some foods on the low list were fine, others upset my gut.
Then there were some on the high FODMAP list ....avocado and honey and small to moderate amouts of broccoli (tops only) which were fine and didn't trouble me.

My symptoms aren't consistent. I get times when I am absolutely fine and symptom free, for no apparent reason, and my longest time like this has been one month. Usually it can vary between a few days to 2-3 weeks at a time.
I was getting that happening on the low FODMAP diet, and even before I started it.

During those times of "remission" I found I could eat just about anything. I was careful at first with very small amounts, then started including other foods again. I got no symptoms. I felt like I was winning.

But I was always careful with foods that might set up the IBS flaring again.

So for the past month everything has irritated my gut .
FIBER!! Anything with it!

It made me cry when I had to do a shopping order tonight and down the whole list of foods I could normally order (carrots, bananas, grapes, watercress, etc etc. there were only two that I can now stomach without awful smptoms (diarrhea, bloating, discomfort in lower abdomen, gas) Those were Pak Choy and green beans. Even potatoes peeled and boiled are starting to upset my gut. I daren't eat oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, cheese, nuts, fruits or vegetables. Now I daren't use any seasonings or herbs except just a sprinkle of salt.

The only time my gut feels calm is when I eat white ciabatta toast with butter, plain cake, white boil in the bag rice, the tiniest portion of Pak Choy of green beans steamed well, and hard boiled eggs. Even milk chocolate! Those foods are all fine. Calm peaceful gut and normal or close to normal bm's.

If I dare to even eat half a banana, half a peeled apple, some boiled carrots or greens, my gut is a mess. Even canned fish gives me horrible diarrhea. I can't obtain freshly caught fish on a regular basis to try that. But frozen fish is also pretty bad for me.

How the heck can I eat anything healthy?
It's making me anxious tonight. How can I live on nothing but hard boiled eggs, white processed rice, white bread, bits of butter two vegetables, and chocolate?

I used to be vegetarian but have had to give that up. Fish was a safe food, now suddenly isn't. I used to eat a wide variety of healthy foods. I don't know how I'm going to get by.
I take a vitamin-mineral tablet every day but that is about 75% of RDA. I daren't even take a vitamin C tablet because those go "straight through me"!

Feeling very lost tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello: I read your post, and I just wanted to reply to say that you are not alone. I used to be a reasonably healthy eater, and now, thanks to IBS-D and GERD, I can't remember what is was like to eat normally. Every time I leave the house, I wonder if I am going to have a sudden attack of diarrhea. My friends go out for a cup of coffee, but I can't drink coffee anymore. My husband and I used to enjoy going out for an ice cream cone, but I can't eat ice cream anymore. Going out for an adult beverage is out of the question. I need to lose weight, but fruits and vegetables send me running to the bathroom. Therefore, I exist on starch because anything else will cause my digestive tract to revolt. I decided that I wanted to have a cheeseburger tonight, so I prepared it on the grill using 96% lean ground beef. I definitely did not eat any fries (major no-no). I thought, wow, I am actually tolerating this cheeseburger. Then the GERD jumped in. I commited the heinous sin of eating a small dollup of ketchup on my burger! Now I have terrible heartburn and a sore throat. I swear, if I could survive by not eating at all, I would do it. I am sorry that my post is more of a rant and not helpful to you at all. I guess misery loves company.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh @veracd I am sorry to hear about your situation. It's so disheartening isn't it? Rant all you like. In fact we could let this thread be a major rant for those of us who simply can't eat properly, and would dearly like to.

Yes, I hear you about the tiny dollop of ketchup. It's a miserable situation when we can't even eat things like that. Do you think the burger itself suited your gut? And it was just the ketchup that messed everything up?

I was given some lovely organic cherry tomatoes a couple of weeks ago by a neighbour. I hadn't trusted eating tomatoes since January 2000. I peeled them (fiber!) and ate them raw and they tasted gorgeous. Next morning my gut was actually okay (ish) and I was really happy to be a ble to include a food in a small amount that I had shunned instinctively for so long so I had the other five that evening.
I was okay, no tummy troubles that night. But all hell was let loose in the morning.
Last night I tried some cooked spinach. All hell was let loose this morning too (for hours)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm so sorry to read about your food problems. The first thing you'll learn about FODMAP or any other diet plan with/for IBS is that those are just suggestions. Write a food diary(or phone app) and log all your symptoms..that should help you determine your individual triggers faster. My doctor always says certain food intolerances and sensitivities can change (for better or worse) through time as your gut heals or deteriorates. That is why you must sometimes try to eat "flare foods" too..they might surprise you! In my opinion:
Silviee- spinach is definitely a histamine problem(avocado and tomatoes and fish too). I haven't had spinach in over 5 years now and I've had problems with eating it for 30 years even before IBS..ever since I can remember the darn vegetable was making me sick. I hated it with a passion as a child and my youngest kid cannot stand it either(breaks out with rash, face bloating, diahrrea and cramps). Histamine sneaks up on you in the most un expected foods..
Tomatoes..good decision about the peels. Couldn't eat them for years actually and still can't if they are whole with skins. Too much fiber and I cannot stand it. Fiber is my worst enemy! I don't know what was your trigger..the fiber in the skins if you didn't peel the second tomato batch or the histamine in the tomatoes BUT next time try to have more than 24 hours between "histamine source foods" to pervent histamine build up in your body. That could help minimize the flares. I do that with gluten too..for example if I eat pasta for lunch then no bread for dinner. You need to find out not just what foods you can eat but also in what quantity. Good luck!
Veracd-my best guess is it's the ketchup..too much things that are not gut friendly are inside. There are onions inside-a major high FODMAP trigger among other things like sugar and acid from tomatoes that is bad for your GERD. If you adore it so much try making your own home-made. Also as someone who has experience with GERD I would advise that you never eat tomatoes after lunch. I can eat about 20 foods in total and plain ground beef on bread/bun is one of them. So I think that just eating that cheeseburger would've been fine. Next time try that and good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ilyria.....interesting that you have always had such a bad time with spinach, and your young child also has a bad reaction to it. That has to be histamine reaction. Maybe you both have a deficiency of the DAO enzyme? I guess that could be inherited?

No, I peeled the tomatoes both times I ate them. I have to peel everything nowadays. So it wasn't the peels, it was something in the tomatoes themselves. Okay the first day, but not on the 2nd day, and my guess that was histamine too.

By the way I found a test in the UK for histamine intolerance, but it is more than I can afford right now. It's not expensive as such for what it is, just that I daren't spend anything at the moment. There was a urine test too, but no details about samples etc. I emailed them but am waiting for a reply maybe next week.

My I BS has been flaring a lot in the last few weeks, during August. It hadn't been so bad before, and I had just got to the stage of re-introducing foods I used to eat....very carefully and in small quantities. Then the terrible flares came and I am back to square one of hardly being able to eat anything with any fiber at all recently. I wonder if I tried to introduce too many foods and was too easy-going during May/June/early July when my gut felt pretty normal.
Tonight I risked trying brown rice (which sometimes had been fine) and some green veggies, and I have had belly cramps and bloatedness and trapped wind low down on the left side all evening! (sigh)

When I check my memory, I'd had a couple of mysterious gut incidents well before I got IBS, maybe 2016-17? One caused by a glass of red wine, and the other by Tofu in Tamari sauce. Both hard to understand because I was always okay with all foods and drinks! Maybe that was a histamine intolerance warning beginning.
I would sometimes get post nasal drip too, and bouts of sneezing for no reason. I didn't connect the dots until recently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to share with groups like yours my magic bullet that ended 30 years of IBS suffering! IBS changed my life and forced me to drive camper vans with toilets in the rear as well as deal with diet and travel restrictions that constantly made problems for me healthwise, socially and with family. I had been treating my peripheral neuropathy successfully with non-intoxicating CBD hemp buds, sold legally through the mail in all 50 states, to end my reliance on gabapentin. Then growers came out with a new strain of hemp last year that contains a different THC molecule that is not restricted by our federal law on the intoxicant content of marijuana. The specific federally banned THC molecule is dubbed Delta 9 THC. The new legal version is classified Delta 8 THC by chemists and is legal to sell but will still show up on drug tests. It is a bit less intoxicating but I tried it to see what it would do for my anxiety symptoms and sleep, not to get high although that is soothing and comparable to medical marijuana. I added a bit of Delta 8 hemp to my daily gel capsule of CBD hemp I buy by the ounce and fill myself. Within two months my IBS symptoms were completel gone!! I was able to stop taking a capsule of psyllium fiber with every meal and my movements were 'picture perfect' so I had to admire them. Then I realized I could resume eating raw salad greens and fresh fruit for the first time in 30 years. There IS a magic bullet for chronic IBS caused by stress factors. Don't hesitate to ask me all your questions to assure that I am not a spammer or trying to post for profit. The profit from my experience of perfect digestive health restored is priceless. Google Delta 8 to learn more as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's frustrating and annoying because everywhere I look online we are told that a high fiber diet is "the thing" for gut health, "the thing" for both IBS-D and C, and so called logical reasons why a low fiber diet can cause diarrhea.
Great in theory!
Except when I lower my fiber intake (any kind, soluble and insoluble) my gut feels calm, little bloating, little discomfort, and better formed stools generally. Basically my IBS symptoms disappear!
If I even tried eating "five a day" it would make me ill most of all the next morning through to the afternoon. If I eat only 1-2 portions of certain veggies, absolutely no fruit, make sure I have white rice not brown, and eat hard boiled eggs, I can have a normal morning.
For over 40 years I ate my 5 a day, sometimes more, could eat any fruits imaginable, bran flakes, lentils, any veggie on the planet. Suddenly a switch flipped!! I just don't get why there is nothing online about being unable to eat very much fiber any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Silviegee - You may not be placing enough emphasis on soluble psyllium fiber. I struggled for decades and had to drive a van with a toilet in the back because I was taking just one large dose of fiber at bedtime, not at all adequate for IBS despite the advice. When I finally changed to eating a fiber capsule with every meal and with morning coffee, things became much more contollable. It took an additional ten years of same problem before I discovered Delta 8 THC which ended my 35 years strulggle with IBS-D. It shut down the mental mechanism that was causing IBS. I tried it for better sleep and was amazed when it cured my IBS, then I slept well and could enjoy raw fruits and salads again. I also got rid of other aches and pains like neuropathy, diverticulosis and kindney pain. You can buy Delta 8 THC hemp flowers legally through the mail at reasonable prices and use that to fill empty gel caps. It will get you high with more than a pinch but is not illegal like Delta 9 THC which is federally banned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Popeye. I appreciate that. I am a bit scared of trying THC stuff, because of my bad reactions to marijuana in the past when I tried it 2 times. It made me feel so ill.
I know I sound awfully negative, and I don 't meant to. because I am glad you have found some help.
But I have also been wary of psyllium husks too. Any fiber at all goes straight through me and really upsets my belly. All I know is if I eat low fiber I feel better, calmer gut and more "normal".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts