Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My job is relatively fluid in that I can go to the bathroom anytime I want. Except for meetings and conference calls, which happen constantly. I have so much trouble making it through the day. My IBS-D is guaranteed to flare up just before. Once I am in the meeting I am usually distracted enough that I can get through it. I cope by bringing a cup of peppermint tea to just about every meeting. However, getting to the meetings is a big problem. I always end up having to go about 15 minutes before one starts and the anxiety sets in. Even if it is an impromptu unscheduled meeting I have problems.Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Can you take an antispasmodic 20-30 minutes before a meeting (or before the trouble usually starts before a meeting).Can you get a long acting antispasmodic or try Lotronex or an antidepressant? Have you tried Imodium spaced through out the day (usually 2X a day but you might need more frequent dosing) or Calcium Carbonate with each meal so it is always around to help bind up the stools.If it is a stress or anxiety reaction (you worry about the meeting that sets it off) you might look into CBT or hypnosis, especially since distraction does seem to help after the meeting starts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to talk to the doctor about an antispasmodic. I often think I wouldn't have the problems if I could just control the spasms. I was on Motillium (domperidone) for a while. It helped a bit but I was also breastfeeding at the time, so the hormone levels made a difference as well. Plus, I wasn't working at the time, so stress levels were different.Immodium goes too far for me. I can't eat after I take immodium. It doesn't act fast enough (I usually have one or two bowel movements after taking it anyway) and then I have nothing but discomfort and trouble down the line. Followed by a whole day in the bathroom a few days later.What are the current recommended antispasmodics for IBS-D? I am feeling like I need to lead my doctor a little as noone seems to take it seriously enough for my liking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Woe, I have exactly the same problems as you. I work as a web developer and most of the time i'm left to work on my own but occasionally have to attend meetings. I get the same problem of anxiety before hand for a few hours, needing the loo lots of times and trying to hide it by pretending to make lots of drinks just so i can wander off and get to the toilet! At one point my boss insisted on department meetings once a week which meant i was having bad attacks all the time and nearly left my job over it. Luckily we gave up on them every week but i still have to attend them sometimes. Normally i have codeine phosphate at night and then in the morning if i think i might be bad that day. This is about the only thing that helps me because it constipates me a bit so when i get a bad attack i usually go maybe twice rather than 8 or 9 times and its a bit better formed so its not as bad. I have enough trouble sitting in the office as it is ....just having to sit with other people is enough of a problem for me but meetings are 10 times worse! Well i've decided that in my next job i'm going to try and get something where i'm not sat in an office and i don't have to attend meetings! If i ever win the lottery i will start a business and employ IBS only people. We can have a toilet each and no meetings. Anyway good luck and until that day (if it ever comes) I will offer you a job
Oh well we can all dream can't we!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a good plan! Working from home is always nice for me because I can discreetly still use the washroom while being on the phone. Not ideal and would be tremendously embarassing if anyone ever found out but it works. Too bad I can't do it all the time.Good news on my end though. I had my gall bladder removed on March 15 due to gallstones that were causing gall bladder attacks. Since then my IBS has been much more manageable. I am hoping the luck continues. Although I have been told I won't really know for sure until about 6 months from now as to what my new normal will be.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Im having this problem at the moment.. how did u get on??
That sounds like a good plan! Working from home is always nice for me because I can discreetly still use the washroom while being on the phone. Not ideal and would be tremendously embarassing if anyone ever found out but it works. Too bad I can't do it all the time.Good news on my end though. I had my gall bladder removed on March 15 due to gallstones that were causing gall bladder attacks. Since then my IBS has been much more manageable. I am hoping the luck continues. Although I have been told I won't really know for sure until about 6 months from now as to what my new normal will be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im having this problem at the moment.. how did u get on??
To be honest in March of 2010 I had my gall bladder removed and it has made the world of difference. I still have IBS but not insane IBS. And now if I am crampy or think I will have a bad day I can take one Pepto Bismal tablet and get through the day. Sometimes to get through a meeting I will take a cup of peppermint tea with me. I think the combination of warmth and the peppermint help calm things down. Sounds crazy but I bless the doctor that decided to remove my gall bladder for "no good reason" and sure enough they found gall stones. Who knows how long those of have been causing me problems?!?!Good luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
HI WoeIsMe Hows your ibs now??
To be honest in March of 2010 I had my gall bladder removed and it has made the world of difference. I still have IBS but not insane IBS. And now if I am crampy or think I will have a bad day I can take one Pepto Bismal tablet and get through the day. Sometimes to get through a meeting I will take a cup of peppermint tea with me. I think the combination of warmth and the peppermint help calm things down. Sounds crazy but I bless the doctor that decided to remove my gall bladder for "no good reason" and sure enough they found gall stones. Who knows how long those of have been causing me problems?!?!Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.