Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Cant Sleep onleft side

552 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  leoandoreosmom 
#1 ·
I dont know what else to do since i cant sleep on my left side? I am only 20 years old and pretty new to IBS. I found out i had it for almost a year now or more.but the doctor told me i had it sinc my last checkup almost a year ago.

#7 ·
I have to go to sleep on my left side sometimes with my hand under my left rib cage or a pillow stuffed under my side.Unless my GERD is acting up,then I usually go to sleep braced against a pile of pillows,gradually sliding onto my left side during the night.I read somewhere that lying on your left side helps the stomach to empty quicker or was I told that when I had the upper GI barium test?Cant remember..

#6 ·
I have to go to sleep on my left side sometimes with my hand under my left rib cage or a pillow stuffed under my side.Unless my GERD is acting up,then I usually go to sleep braced against a pile of pillows,gradually sliding onto my left side during the night.I read somewhere that lying on your left side helps the stomach to empty quicker or was I told that when I had the upper GI barium test?Cant remember..

#8 ·
its also helpful to put a pillow or 2 between your legs. you might wanna try keeping a goal of sleeping on your back. that seems to be the healthiest way to sleep. try at least meditating on your back for 45 minutes a day. you need to be careful not to put too much pressure on your digestion(ie. left right side of abdomen). also, get out and walk a mile EVERY morning.

#9 ·
its also helpful to put a pillow or 2 between your legs. you might wanna try keeping a goal of sleeping on your back. that seems to be the healthiest way to sleep. try at least meditating on your back for 45 minutes a day. you need to be careful not to put too much pressure on your digestion(ie. left right side of abdomen). also, get out and walk a mile EVERY morning.

#15 ·
I haven't been able to either. I think it is because the decending colon is in the left side. I have pain around my belly button and left side. This is not from IBS, but from IBD. In addition to all of that, I had kidney surgery back in September. Now I have incision pain on top of the other two! I use two pillows - one for my head and one for my shoulder. Maybe someone with a medical perspective can shed some light on this phemoninon!

#14 ·
I haven't been able to either. I think it is because the decending colon is in the left side. I have pain around my belly button and left side. This is not from IBS, but from IBD. In addition to all of that, I had kidney surgery back in September. Now I have incision pain on top of the other two! I use two pillows - one for my head and one for my shoulder. Maybe someone with a medical perspective can shed some light on this phemoninon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.