Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please can you guys help me? I really don't want to stay at uni, i'm really struggling with coping with my ibs etc but i don't know what else i could do? am i best to ride it out? if that's possible.... i just don't know what to do any more i'm totally trapped. please help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
HelloWhat is the real problem? - is it coping with your ibs or are you not getting on or happy with your university course? Are you a young person and away from home? How does your ibs affect you and what do you do to try and control the symptoms. Am happy to chat with you direct if it will help. I think my personal profile gives my details.Judith

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Have you tried talking to a school counselor or your advisor at university? Maybe they can help you set out a strategy for taking a reduced load so you can stay in. The worst thing to do is leave university, trust me, I did and I'm having all sorts of problems. See if your university has a disability services department, they are very good generally and very helpful in coming up with ways to help students cope with problems. Sometimes they can get you extra time for tests, etc. I know you feel trapped right now, but just imagine what it would feel like to finish university! I wish I was able to.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't know what the problem is, i'm struggling to do the work, it isn't hard i just can't find time, can't be bothered etc etc. I just feel so generally ill and tired that i can't keep up and if i have a worse than just a lil ill day then i get behind and can't get caught up cus i'm working full pelt already. i don't like halls and it isn't my first time away from home, i miss the atmosphere and that everyone understood me etc but i wouldn't say i was homesick, i dont want to move back home.I'm registered with disabilites, they got me to speak to a counsellor and i have to see the acadmeic adviser tomorrow about letting my tutors know but i'm not sure they can really do any more. What did you do when you left?

·
Banned
415 Posts
Hi Heth,I don't know if it is possible to do, but can you just take a break for 6 months, a year?Get your head in order bvut not completly rule out uni, just try it again when you are in a better place with yourself.I don't know if you can go away and come backlike that with uni, but it could be you just need to get away from it all for a bit and really think about where you want to go without the pressures you have right now.If its uni you arnt happy with but you want the degree, do a home study course, no pressure, on your terms and they can be great fun! Was doing a Marine Biology course, opened my own video shop and got so busy i had the work done and just forgot to post it off!! Missed the date by 2 days!! Aaarrrrrggg!!!Lisa

G

·
Cat - I'd say have a big rethink - you should be loving Uni and you aren't - you are probably making yourself worse with all this stress. How about a year out, time to try and manage the symptoms (I'm afraid I can't really say cure - but you can certainly feel better than this). I think you've got to give yourself a chance health wise and who knows, in a year, you might feel totally different.I went back to Uni at the grand old age of 34 and have now got all my solicitors' qualifications. Its never, ever too late.Please don't stress anymore, have a good old chin to your academic advisor and if he/she is worth his/her salt, will probably suggest the same thing.It really isn't the end of the world - believe me!!Good luckSue

·
Registered
222 Posts
CAT : Sounds to me like you have a bad case of "No interest in what you are taking" Maybe it is time to re-evaluate your goals and make changes to your direction. I never had this happen with education but was stuck when I was young in a Great Pay, Great Benefit job that I hated. My IBS was awful, I went on disability and had many, many tests that just worsen'd my depression(and IBS) as one after the other came back negative. (Should have been happy but was sure they were missing something) Eventually I left the job went back to shcool for something I really enjoyed (at the time)and the rest is history ... 30 years of it. My IBS has never gone away but it is much easier to cope and not obsess over it when you are motivated to get up and get on with the day because you are doing something you like or want to. Over the years I have still had many bad bouts but nearly always when things were less than positive in my life. That said, I have come to believe that IBS is a life style and it is with me daily, but I do my best to work and live despite it. Good luck, find your dreams, set your goals and follow through. Do what is right for you !!Feel free to contact me privately if you want to chat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't think i would want to come back if i left. and i don't know what i would do either. I know i should at least be enjoying it but i really don't know............i don't want to drop out and regret it.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Just take your time heth, dont rush into anything until you are 100% sure...When i was married to adolph he went to robert gordon in aberdeen , he felt like you did, he stuck in and 4 yrs later had a 1st class honours degree (with a distinction) in mech and offshore engineering... good luck x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.