Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me three times in the last year of symptoms. I have had constant diarrhea for the last year. I get very sick and lost about 15 pounds. When I am sick I can't eat anything. So far the doctor hasn't found anything yet. The first time this happened was after a round of flagyl for another condition. The diarrhea and extreme pain went away for about a month and put back on 5 pounds because I could not stop eating. I was hungry all the time. The hunger I got under control then IT came back. The second time was after a small bowel follow through. The barium pretty much cleaned me out and again the hunger came back. This lasted about a week. Now I had a CT scan again with barium after a week of constant D. D gone hunger is back. I mean I am craving Taco bell and pizza. I ate beans and cheese and hot sauce and sausage, etc with no side effects. I am usually a very careful eater and never overeat so this is very unusual. I have yet to be diagnosed with anything, I think my Gi is leaning towards bacterial overgrowth but I havent seen him since I had these two procedures, the first was normal. I am wondering if I should take pepto bismal until he decides what to do. This is the strangest thing

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been having D just about every day for the last two weeks. Today was especially fun... And I've also been on a food binge. So hungry all of the time. I can't get it in there fast enough and a few minutes later I'm hungry again. I try to eat well...but haven't been doing very well with that for the past two weeks. I hear you on the Taco Bell...love that stuff. I used to be able to restrain myself from eating the naughty items, but lately, anything is on the menu. I don't know what's wrong with me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
hey you two - have you ever had blood tests done to evaluate your sugar levels? i'm considered insulin resistant so it means that my body doesn't quite recognize the sugars that i take in so it produces more and stores it all as fat. hence about thirty pounds gained. i know when my symptoms act up i'm hungry almost every minute - no matter what, so maybe that would be something to look into for yourself. for me this is a precursor to diabetes 2 - i was on metformin but it's a very harsh medicine and causes D, so i had to stop taking it... anyway - just my two cents!

·
Registered
94 Posts
wow this is very wierd...I just had one of my days where I ate anything and everything in site (WAY too much pizza and nachos)..I just thought I was crazy or something..haha. but to hear that others experience similar times/phases makes me feel a little better. altho' I'd really like to stop w/ the weight losing and gaining. I also go through weeks of D and lose about 5 pounds...but then I get days liek today where I just can't stop eating and I end up gaining 5-10 pounds..it's ridiculous!I've just had my sugar, blood and everything checked and all is normal...so I have no clue what this is all about?!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have such a day today as well. Maybe it's my period comming up, but I have had egg roles, lots of chocolate, bread, waffels and so on and I am still hungry. I am kinda slim, but my belly is getting too large like this. Isn't there anything that fills and won't make you gain too much? Would be nice now

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe it's because when one has constant D, you don't absorb any nutrients, so then your body is just starved for any kind of content, hence the uncontrollable hunger. Just a theory.MBVCXZ, how come you have never had any tests? You really should ge tested to rule out more serious diseases that have similar symptoms to IBS, but require medication. I myself am in the process of undergoing all the tests, I will find out the results tomorrow. Cringe! Had a sigmoidoscopy last month, everything was normal, but still afraid that they will find something serious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are right. I really dont know what is satisfying and not high in calories. I am not gaining any weight so I guess I should just ride it out.I am waiting for my CT scan results. I am either afraid they will find something and afraid they won't find anything.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have IBS-D and my gastro doc put me on Effexor XR because one of the main side effects of it is constipation and he thought it might help me.Unfortunately, the only thing it did was give me a huge appetite and I gained about 20 lbs. I just thought I would put that out there if any of you are taking this or another antidepressant that would cause incredible hunger. I am now off the Effexor XR and those cravings are no gone. Sadly, even tho I exercise every day, I cannot seem to lose the weight.

·
Registered
244 Posts
sometimes when your body thinks you're hungry it's a trigger for other things such as thirst or tiredness. when you think you're really hungry try drinking a big glass of water first. write down your feelings when you're hungry and rate the hunger on a scale from 1-10 10 being starving. sometimes emotional eating is the cause. i know this because i do this. i try drinking water or something flavored to stimulate my taste buds - like crystal lite. if you can trick your body like that you may not actually eat as much. just a thought!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can relate to this as well. But especially before my period. I can be shoving one food in my mouth while planning what I'll eat afterwards and I can eat all steady all day. Yet nothing satisfies. Sometimes I will take a Metabolife tablet to curb the hunger or drink a big glass of Citrucel which sometimes makes me full. Also, I tend to starve myself before big events so that I can get through them with little D, but once its over with I tend to reward myself with bad foods because I figure I deserve it for not eating and who cares if I have an attack now. anyone else do this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I've been on a few different 'restricted diets' the past several weeks while me and my docs figure out if it's IBS or something else. First it was just saltine crackers, a few bites of dry roll, and sipping on coke or gingerale. Then I restricted everything, except certain organic fruit, veggies, fresh caught salmon or blue, organic eggs, only water, etc.... and still had D.So last friday night, after feeling starved for weeks and sick of my diet (missing pasta, cereal, english muffins, ICEBERG LETTUCE, corn on the cob, beans, emy 1 cup of coffee in the morning (preferrably dunkin donuts coffee) w/h&h and yes, SUGAR!, etc), I said screw it, I'm going to have MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP MILKSHAKE, and then while sitting there watching the chef make grilled chesses, ham and cheese, hot dogs etc., decide to have a REUBEN. I only ate 1/2, and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!... but... my D symptoms were much worse this weekend. Not that I haven't had them every day for the past several weeks, but it did get worse. But I can so relate. W/ my colonostopy scheduled tomorrow and this horrible fleet stuff and liquid diet (I only had some broth and jello for lunch and nothing but water the rest of the day), I'm craving homemade maryland style fried chicken, potatoe salad, taco bell (which I haven't had in several months) mickey d ff's, pizza, cajun chicken (preferrably on a salad with peppercorn dressing), buffalo wings or a buffalo sandwhich, ... I could go on and on.Oh yea, if you're from Del. Co., PA, the best place to get a mint choc. chip milkshake (or any other milkshake you can think of) and a great burger is the Nifty Fifties.:-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.