Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I woke up SEVEN times between 9pm and 6am to urinate! This is ridiculous as it has been going on for over a week. My blood work is normal and there was only a small trace of white blood cells in my urine. What could be going on!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is a disorder called "Overactive Bladder" where the bladder over-reacts to filling and is kinda like what some people have with the rectum only it's the bladder.It may be fairly common for people to have both, I do.The OB usually is most bothersome when my allegies act up for some reason.It is also treated with antispasmodics, so if you have some handy it may be worth giving one a shot at bedtime. The Levsin I have tends to work just as well as the antispasmodics that are supposed to be for OB. www.detrol.com is the site from one of the drugs used to treat it and has some pretty good info.Mine mostly bothers me at night.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is a disorder called "Overactive Bladder" where the bladder over-reacts to filling and is kinda like what some people have with the rectum only it's the bladder.It may be fairly common for people to have both, I do.The OB usually is most bothersome when my allegies act up for some reason.It is also treated with antispasmodics, so if you have some handy it may be worth giving one a shot at bedtime. The Levsin I have tends to work just as well as the antispasmodics that are supposed to be for OB. www.detrol.com is the site from one of the drugs used to treat it and has some pretty good info.Mine mostly bothers me at night.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Jen S,I went through the same thing several months ago and I went to the doctor thinking I would get an antibiotic for a minor infection but nothing showed up in the urine sample so they gave me a medication Phenazopyridin Tab 200 MG. This is the same medication in an OTC product called Uristat but the strenght is lower 95 MG a tablet. You only take them for 2 days. Your urine will be very orange and this can stain you undergarments. It did help at that time.It says it gives fast relief of pain, burning, urgency and frequency of urination.You should also avoid somr potentially irritating foods such as coffee, caffeinated/ carbonated beverages, alcohol and spicy or highly acidic foods such as tomatoes and citrus products.Also avoiding bubble bath products, douches and scented soaps and toilet paper. Wearing cotton underwear and avoiding tight clothing. Uusing uncented laundry detergants, bleaches, and fabric softeners can help. Wipingfrom front to back after urination or a bowel movement can help prevent bacteria from entering the urethra. During Menstruation change tampons or sanitary pads frequently to minimize bacteria growth.Urinating before and after Sexual intercourse may also help in eliminating any bacteria. Washing the genital area befor intercourse can also help. With a mild soap of couse.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Jen S,I went through the same thing several months ago and I went to the doctor thinking I would get an antibiotic for a minor infection but nothing showed up in the urine sample so they gave me a medication Phenazopyridin Tab 200 MG. This is the same medication in an OTC product called Uristat but the strenght is lower 95 MG a tablet. You only take them for 2 days. Your urine will be very orange and this can stain you undergarments. It did help at that time.It says it gives fast relief of pain, burning, urgency and frequency of urination.You should also avoid somr potentially irritating foods such as coffee, caffeinated/ carbonated beverages, alcohol and spicy or highly acidic foods such as tomatoes and citrus products.Also avoiding bubble bath products, douches and scented soaps and toilet paper. Wearing cotton underwear and avoiding tight clothing. Uusing uncented laundry detergants, bleaches, and fabric softeners can help. Wipingfrom front to back after urination or a bowel movement can help prevent bacteria from entering the urethra. During Menstruation change tampons or sanitary pads frequently to minimize bacteria growth.Urinating before and after Sexual intercourse may also help in eliminating any bacteria. Washing the genital area befor intercourse can also help. With a mild soap of couse.Take Care,Linda

G

·
I don't get woken up to urinate, but during the day I do seem to get the urge to go alot more than I used to. When I'm nervous I constantly feel like I need to go.

G

·
I don't get woken up to urinate, but during the day I do seem to get the urge to go alot more than I used to. When I'm nervous I constantly feel like I need to go.

G

·
I hate going to bed. I know I'm going to wake up 2-3 times to urinate. This just takes a couple of hours of effective sleep away from me. So, I can't win, either.

G

·
I hate going to bed. I know I'm going to wake up 2-3 times to urinate. This just takes a couple of hours of effective sleep away from me. So, I can't win, either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to get up several times during the night to urinate unless I take a heavy duty sleeping pill that knocks me out. Then I will have to go around 5AM.I also have this irritating habit of eating while up, usually something sweet ususally eaten on the throne. Kind of sick isn't it? I think I will try the Levsin suggestion.During the day the problem isn't nearly as bad unless I am nervous. I couldn't even begin to count the times I have gone running to the washroon with a dentist bib around my neck and cotton balls in my mouth!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to get up several times during the night to urinate unless I take a heavy duty sleeping pill that knocks me out. Then I will have to go around 5AM.I also have this irritating habit of eating while up, usually something sweet ususally eaten on the throne. Kind of sick isn't it? I think I will try the Levsin suggestion.During the day the problem isn't nearly as bad unless I am nervous. I couldn't even begin to count the times I have gone running to the washroon with a dentist bib around my neck and cotton balls in my mouth!

G

·
did this come on suddenly or gradually?i also pee very very frequently. i go thru periods where i'm peeing 30-40 maybe more times a day(i've never counted)-and also at night. its very uncomfortable. in my case its clear its related to ibs. my doc says the same sets of nerves that make our colon irritable often start making the bladder irritable. i noticed that once i'm tuned into the sensation i'll just go and go and go. this was seriously bothernig me and my doc gave me amitryplyine. i take 1/2 of smallest dose available. he said it directly targets those nerver receptors that are in the bladder. i take it at night. it seems to have zero side effects and i am very sensitive to medecine. it is helping me ALOT and i am back to normal-which i can't believe. note that it took awhile to start working. maybe 3 weeks. now i go on and off it. i hope this helps, but you should also look into diabetes, bladder infection, bubble bath crystals are notorious for getting stuck in the urethra or near it and irritating it-this can cause constant peeing-and you just have to wait the few days till the crystal dissolves.

G

·
did this come on suddenly or gradually?i also pee very very frequently. i go thru periods where i'm peeing 30-40 maybe more times a day(i've never counted)-and also at night. its very uncomfortable. in my case its clear its related to ibs. my doc says the same sets of nerves that make our colon irritable often start making the bladder irritable. i noticed that once i'm tuned into the sensation i'll just go and go and go. this was seriously bothernig me and my doc gave me amitryplyine. i take 1/2 of smallest dose available. he said it directly targets those nerver receptors that are in the bladder. i take it at night. it seems to have zero side effects and i am very sensitive to medecine. it is helping me ALOT and i am back to normal-which i can't believe. note that it took awhile to start working. maybe 3 weeks. now i go on and off it. i hope this helps, but you should also look into diabetes, bladder infection, bubble bath crystals are notorious for getting stuck in the urethra or near it and irritating it-this can cause constant peeing-and you just have to wait the few days till the crystal dissolves.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.