Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to report some positive results with Carbohydrate Exclusion with acknowledgments to Meckle, a regular contributor here who reccomended the approach of Dr. John McKenna here in Ireland. I was unable to get an appointment with him but I have found his book very useful. The approach is similar to what I've seen called (I think) the Specific Carbohydrate diet and to the Atkins diet.I was going through a terrible period of some months with my IBS - it was totaly out of control. I have managed to bring it almost totally under control with my new diet. I am exluding all high carboydrate foods - all sugars, grains, potatoes etc. Dr McKenna allows naturall yoghurt and cheese but I have found they don't agree with me so I have exluded them too. I am basically eating meat ( I don't really like fish), vegtables - both cooked and salad, and the odd grapefruit. I can get away with a little bit of gravy and sausages even though they contain some wheat and or yeast. For breakfast every second day I have sausages, rashers, a fried egg, and plenty of salad with flax seed oil and a little lemon juice. Every other morning I have a grapefruit, and a salad with tuna. I try to eat out in a carvary for lunch to save the hassle of cooking three times a day - I have whatever roast meet is availabe with loads of vegtables. For dinner I might have minced meat (beef, lamb or turkey) in a pure tomato and vegtable sauce with loads of vegtables, or grilled meat and veg, or chicken or turkey stir fried with loads of vegtables.I drink plenty of water but not with meals. I am taking a teaspoon of glutamine in water twice a day. I am taking several supplement inlcuding calcium/magnesium, multi vit, multi min, anti-oxidants, chromium, lechitan, a broad spectrum of pro-biotics. I take linseeds or the other bulking stuff the name of which I can't think of now. The catch is that energy can be a bit of a problem on this diet. I'm beginning to get to hang of it and to realize that the key is to eat loads of vegtables, particularly ones like carrot and turnip which are relatively high in carboydrates - but for whatever reason those carboydrates are easier for the body to take. Am at the point now where my energy levels are tolerably good and my digestive system is functioning almost perfectly. There is something slightly constipating in there (perhaps the glutamine?) but this is not proving a sever problem.Just wanted to put that on the record for anyone interested.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.