Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know from my previous posts I have issues digesting carbohydrates (both simple and complex). They make me VERY bloated, and slightly gassy (but mostly bloated), and I feel fatigued most of the time after eating them.At the same time I absolutely CRAVE carbs...(example: last night, after I ate dinner, I ate 2 bowls of cereal- gah!).Is there a condition/syndrome, etc that this points to, or do I just need to use discipline and avoid carbs? Or, is this a common symptom of carb intolerance (also craving them)?More info: I am female, late 30s, and was diagnosed with SIBO (bacterial overgrowth) last year and was on antibiotics twice for it, followed by probiotics. I may or may not have IBS-D (no official diagnosis from doctor, although some symptoms are in line with that).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I hear a lot of people say they crave what they are intolerant of (and see a lot of theories as to why), but I don't know of a real biological or disease process for that. Or, if you can separate it from the general human experience of wanting what we can't/don't have.I've known people that don't even like something and never eat it, but when it get put on a "don't eat" list for medical reasons they start getting cravings for it. Just part of how people seem to be wired. I think people also typically like having more variety in what they eat rather than less, so when you have limitations you are likely to start craving the things you avoid just from wanting/needing more variety.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also have SIBO for about 2 years now. Yes I get the carb cravings, yes carbs bother me. And Yes I get very fatigued. These all have to do with the SIBO. With SIBO just about everything bothers you, of course some foods make it worse (potatoes, breads, cereals, waffles, some fruits). Have you gotten an xray of your abdomen by chance? My SIBO problems are stemming from the fact that I have alot of stool up in my small intestine and the bacteria are having a feeding frenzy off of that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a CT scan of my abdomen (not an x-ray), and it came back normal. I've had pretty much every diagnostic test to try to determine what caused (or is causing) the SIBO, but to no avail. I'm starting to suspect that the SIBO might be an issue, but that I have something else going on as well. Right now I'm kind of in a "holding pattern"; things are not great, but they have been much, much worse. My next appointment is in a few months, and I'm going to ask my doctor about fructose malabsorption, among other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.