Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as there is fat, frutose, lactose etc malabsorption is it possible there is carbohydrate malabsorption. IS THERE A TEST AVAILABLE FOR IT IF THERE IS SUCH A THING?Getting desperate to find answers to my ibs.Tried plenty of things, nothing has worked. Currently am taking Calcium carbonate, digestive enzymes with each meal, pepto, fibre 2x a day, no dairy. Tried many many different things in the past including prescription meds, nothing works. Only improvement is seen when I stay off ALL GRAINS AND TABLE SUGAR, not complete resolution. But it is next to impossible to stay on the SCD for too long. Help!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
The following are the different carbs which could cause malabsorption. Listed next to the carb is the specific deficient enzyme activity. Resistant starch-naturally resistant to amylase- potatoes and bananas, or in processed foods and starches, grains, pulsesRetrograde starch(like refrigerated wheat products-pasta)-Crystallization-amylase resistanceFiber- Absence of beta-glucosidase activityRaffinose, Stachyose- Absence of alpha-galactisodase activity- Raffinose is a complex sugar found in many cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower) and in beans. Beans also contain stachyose, another form of sugar that is digested poorly.Trehalose-Low Trehalase activity - mushrooms

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response bonniei.I just posted on another forum the foods that i am limited to eating and foods that I avoid. Basically I avoid most vegetables and all legumes, but when I do eat these on occassion I am not worse off in any way. I think the culprit may be the wheat, although gluten sensitivity tests were negative. I have asked my GP Doc to refer me to another GI doc whom I have heard goes above and beyond the regular tests and looks at your diet alongside. Waiting period to see him is quite lengthy. But just have to wait to see one of the best.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I just replied to that thread. What do you mean by gluten sensitivity tests-celiac? It could well be resistant starch but are you sure abou fruits. They all seem to have fructose in much higher quabtuty than glucose which cab cause problems for fructose malabsorbers. See this site for the gluc/fruct content in fruitshttp://www.thepaleodiet.com/sugars.htm

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bonnieiI had blood test for gluten intolerance some years ago,it was negative. One year ago had biopsy with upper endoscopy, again negative. Capsule endoscopy done in March this year showed the villi is normal that's what the gi doc said. So it is not gluten or celiac disease. I am ok with fruits as long as I avoid all grains, wheat/corn/oats/potatoes/etc,table sugar, fatty/greasy foods. The SCD gives some improvement but no real resolution. I will ask the new gi doc for a fructose intolerance test and also SIBO test. Thank you for the suggestions. I need all the help I can get.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I would suggest removing fruits and soy for a couple of days. That is the simplest way of knowing if these are triggers. Soy has been known to cause diarrhea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look into how your trigger foods are farmed and processed, chemicals on and in foods; many labeled “GRAS” can cause dysautonomia. Diarrhea is only one of the ways the body can show signs of exposure intolerance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts