Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By readihg the posts on this BB, am I right in thinking that most of you dont eat carbs? do carbs cause you problems?I normally eat potatoes and pasta everyday, and get more D and pains from chicken, eggs and other meats.Which of the above do you suffer with? are you worse when you eat proteins, or Carbs?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Vickie-Sue-Lou:The trouble with IBS diets is never was it more true "One [man's] meat is anothers' poison."
'Carbs" as a class are not automatically bad for IBS patients, as is not class of dietary components automatically bad. You will find people who can eat them freely and those who explode in a torrent of unrelenting effluvia at the hint of a potato.
There ARE probabilities, though, that once the gut has been upregulated by specific things, all kinds of general rules may apply to a large part of the population...too much fat in food, to big a meal,intoelrance of neuro-active and vasocative chemicals in foods, etc. It becomes a mine field without a map.This is why I recommend some books when there are these issues to consider that can help alot understanding the subject:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Vickie-Sue-Lou:The trouble with IBS diets is never was it more true "One [man's] meat is anothers' poison."
'Carbs" as a class are not automatically bad for IBS patients, as is not class of dietary components automatically bad. You will find people who can eat them freely and those who explode in a torrent of unrelenting effluvia at the hint of a potato.
There ARE probabilities, though, that once the gut has been upregulated by specific things, all kinds of general rules may apply to a large part of the population...too much fat in food, to big a meal,intoelrance of neuro-active and vasocative chemicals in foods, etc. It becomes a mine field without a map.This is why I recommend some books when there are these issues to consider that can help alot understanding the subject:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again Mike.All these things are true because it is so hard to even tell myself what is wrong. For example, the last time I ate chicken (on Sunday) I had D. So I blamed the chicken and dont want to eat it again.However, the AMOUNT of chicken was quite large and so it was probably the first time in months that id had a proper meal Maybe it was the larger meal that gave me the D, and not the chicken??....I find this IBS VERY hard to understand! Cant ever find any rules!?.........

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Mike.All these things are true because it is so hard to even tell myself what is wrong. For example, the last time I ate chicken (on Sunday) I had D. So I blamed the chicken and dont want to eat it again.However, the AMOUNT of chicken was quite large and so it was probably the first time in months that id had a proper meal Maybe it was the larger meal that gave me the D, and not the chicken??....I find this IBS VERY hard to understand! Cant ever find any rules!?.........

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Viccki. I think (I'm not sure though) that the people that don't eat carbs are the ones with IBS/C. I had (have) IBS/D and carbs get me through the day. I cut out red meat, chocolate, sodas, high fat, alcohol, cigaretters, and dairy products (soy is the way to go). I try to only get organic chicken and eggs (and I only eat the whites, not the yolk) and I drink LOTS of water. I also try not to let my stomach get empty as that upsets it.I eat snacks throughout the day (usually honeycomb ceareal -dry-, angel food cake, or bread... these are very safe foods) and then I eat small meals. I always start of my meals with carbs. It seems to help. Then I eat a little chicken or a little greeen beans. I also have a Caltrate Plus with each meal (Thanks again Linda!!!) and that really helps.I've been symptom free since I've done this. A good source book on this typing of eating is "Eating for IBS" by Heather Von something or other. I don't always have time for her recipes (although they are very delicious) but her tips on eating are extraordinary.This may or may not work for you, everyone's different. I try to thank God for my better health every day and could care less about cutting all of those trigger foods out since I feel better.E-mail me at kristin.christ###clearworks.net if you have any questions. Hope this helps!!!Kristin

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Viccki. I think (I'm not sure though) that the people that don't eat carbs are the ones with IBS/C. I had (have) IBS/D and carbs get me through the day. I cut out red meat, chocolate, sodas, high fat, alcohol, cigaretters, and dairy products (soy is the way to go). I try to only get organic chicken and eggs (and I only eat the whites, not the yolk) and I drink LOTS of water. I also try not to let my stomach get empty as that upsets it.I eat snacks throughout the day (usually honeycomb ceareal -dry-, angel food cake, or bread... these are very safe foods) and then I eat small meals. I always start of my meals with carbs. It seems to help. Then I eat a little chicken or a little greeen beans. I also have a Caltrate Plus with each meal (Thanks again Linda!!!) and that really helps.I've been symptom free since I've done this. A good source book on this typing of eating is "Eating for IBS" by Heather Von something or other. I don't always have time for her recipes (although they are very delicious) but her tips on eating are extraordinary.This may or may not work for you, everyone's different. I try to thank God for my better health every day and could care less about cutting all of those trigger foods out since I feel better.E-mail me at kristin.christ###clearworks.net if you have any questions. Hope this helps!!!Kristin

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kristin! your advice is appreciated and helpful. You sound just like me! I have D also and helps when I eat Carbs. I stay away from eggs too and red meat.ill read your post again and take some advice from your msg!! thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Kristin! your advice is appreciated and helpful. You sound just like me! I have D also and helps when I eat Carbs. I stay away from eggs too and red meat.ill read your post again and take some advice from your msg!! thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.