Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought that it's the sugar and sweeteners that means I'm supposed to stay away from carbonated drinks, so I drink a lot of fizzy water. Am I being a complete moron? Is it the carbonation or the content that irritates your bowels?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me know how you make out with just drinking water...I just can not bring myself (so far, anyway) to drinking 8 cups a day..the most I've drank is l/2 litre. I love my pepsi..but I've given it up..darn it! My mother swore by Gingerale for stomach aches..I passed that on to my own kids who used to call it "medicine pop"..lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i'd say that if you've been drinking fizzy drinks all along and it hasn't bothered you so far, don't worry about it.I love soda and carbonated stuff too, but i decided to stop drinking that and anything with caffine(sp?) in it. And it seemed to help...or at least, when i tried to drink that stuff again i had really horrible d. so now i stick to water and decaffinated tea with very little sugar in it....but there's enjoyment in that..after a while i prefered tea and water to other drinks...its not so bad

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For me drinking soda is ok if it's ice cold. If it's warm it'll set me off. I know...Weird!I've been drinking at least 3/4 liters of bottled water per day and it does make me feel less crampy. In the past I was afraid to drink too much water for fear of more D. Now when I'm at work and start to feel crampy I reach for the bottled water. And it's helping.Have a nice day

G

·
After my surgeries in 2002, I was not drinking any carbonated drinks. Last year I started enjoying one pepsi with lunch and it has not been a problem. This is the only soda that I drink for the entire day, otherwise I am drinking water and grape juice.Char

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hello~
I belong to the group that cannot drink anything carbonated... My favorite thing to do is to open the bottle and wait until it's flat if I drink any at all

·
Registered
490 Posts
I usually avoid carbonated stuff because I've read everywhere it's bad for IBS. But when I do drink it I'm usually fine!Also, when my aunt was in hospital, after surgery they advised her to drink fizzy water to RELIEVE stomach discomfort. It might be the caffeine in coke/pepsi that's the trigger rather than the bubbles. And avoid the 'diet' versions cos they contain sorbitol /aspartame, both sweeteners that are gi irritant and laxative!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.