Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm IBS-C with Pain, Gas, and Bloating. I'm also hypoglycemic (low blood sugar -- resulting in dizzyness mostly). I've been able to keep both relatively under control with a low carb diet. I used to eat brown rice, buckwheat, etc -- complex-carbs that are good for you and encouraged on low carb diets, but one day I realized that they were giving me a dull stomach pain in the mornings. It's a strange feeling that's very hard to describe and it usually goes away by the afternoon or by the time I have a BM, whichever comes first. After making this discovery, I cut out those carbs, too. Now, if I go out to a restaurant and order something "safe" that was prepared with "hidden carbs" -- like adding potato startch or something to thicken a sauce, the next morning I can always tell.Does this happen to anyone else? Can anyone help me understand it or explain it?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I was waking up with dull stomach pain also, but mostly nausea. In my case I think it's citric acid. As for no-carbs, if it works for you...go for it. I did the Atkin's diet and didn't feel different either way. **Two important things to remember...low/no carb diets can cause C, so you may need to take a little extra of what you are taking to help with C. Secondly, drink extra fluids as these diets tend to be high in protein and dehydrate you faster. It can put a strain on your kidneys if you aren't hydrating yourself enough.Good luck. Glad to hear you're feeling better.
Kari

·
Registered
349 Posts
I too have problems with carbs and find they increase the gas, pain and bloating and was also considering the Atkins diet, or something similar.I didnt realize it can increase constipation. I realize there is no fiber, however I do find that the more fiber I eat, including veggies and fruit, the greater the symptoms and the pain. Sometimes a low fiber diet helps me "go" more, however I'm afraid that if we dont get carbs, it may make us crave them even more ... I too suffer from major hypoglycemia and carbs really effect my insulin level. Carbs in some situations can also (for me) increase constipation ... I'm not sure why, I guess because there is no motility left in my colon, so the carbs just kind of sit there and ferment.Let us know if you decide to go on a low carb diet and which one ... maybe we can kinda do it together and support each other along the way. I know one can have some carbs, so its not all just protein, although with Atkins, I'm not a great believer in all that fat ... so for me, I would reduce the fat intake, which I believe can stay in the system too long, which we dont want.I'm IBS-very C, with major pain 24/7! Never tried a real low carb diet ... never know, it may help with the pain and the insulin situation.Please feel free to send me a Private Message if yu like.Good luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Could be a theoretical carbo addiction. Theoretical, because it's controversially disputed amongst medical circles.Advocates of the theory include Atkins and that nearly bald chick who did the diet screaming circuit.Wouldn't hurt to try the low carb diet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.