Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently taking care of my 78 yr. old aunt. She's got IBS and mild dementia, as well as high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I'm trying to monitor her diet and keeping her off dairy foods as much as possible. She takes 8 different drugs every day, and she has diarrhea attacks almost every day.My problem is how to cope with these attacks. It seems that she gets no warning at all, and by the time she rises from her chair, she's already messed herself and the mess trails all the way to the bathroom. Other times we've been out of the house and she's messed in the car, in the restaurant, and in the stores.I need some advice on how to control these attacks, and also if there's some protective clothing I can buy for her. She has ruined many of her clothes.This is my first time on this board and I'm glad I found it. I'd appreciate any help and support that anyone can give.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think Depends (or another adult diaper) may be helpful in this situation - perhaps she's having a flare up lately... If she has high cholesterol, perhaps there are medications that they can give her to help.But in any case, as the caregiver, you're probably the 'cleaner' as well. The depends would definitely help you and her stay cleaner and drier. Maybe others on the board have some ideas.Good luck and welcome.Roo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might see if adding Questran might help (but it would have to be taken at a different time from other meds) it is for cholesterol but also has the side effect of being constipating which helps some people.I'd ask if you could add a small dose of Imodium morning and night without interfering with the other meds.If she needs Calcium anyway, and you can do this with her meds (some meds cannot be taken with calicum) try 300-600 mgs calcium carbonate with meals.I would also put her in Depends to catch the diarrhea and ease clean up.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your suggestions on the Depends. I had thought about that, however stubborn as she is, it's going to be quite a battle to get her to wear them. But like all things she's fighting these days, if she wants to live at home, she'll have to conform. It's just so difficult for her to accept what is happening to her body.As for the immodium, I will ask her doctor is this is something that will not interfere with the actions of all the other meds she's taking. Thank you again for your helpful advice. I'll post to let you know how she's doing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the same issue. 82 year old Mother-in-law lives 2 blocks away. She won't move in with us but needs "supervision" so we moved her as close as possible. No IBS problems but it took her ten years of "thinking" before she finally got hearing aids. It was a battle to make her get a big button phone with a loud volume control. Another battle to use a toilet helper-seat, install grab bars in the bathroom, etc, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just ordered her a shower chair, even after she said she won't use it. I guess I'll just put it in there and give her no choice. I can be stubborn too, lol. As regards the Depends, I'm looking for something with 'leak guards'. Once I find them, that too will be a battle getting her to wear them.Oy vey.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am sure the attacks upset her as well. Wearing a depend has got to be better than messing your self and your clothing. Likewise the shower chair, once she sees how easy it is too clean herself up, she'll see the benefits. If the clothing is a problem, check the internet for seniors' clothing that is easy to get on and off - made for disabled people, etc. Have you tried keeping a diary of what she eats and noting when she has the attacks? Has she always had IBS? Could it be aggravated by one of her meds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me3, I've noticed she has the attacks when she has dairy foods, milk, cheese, ice cream. So, I tell her she's not allowed to have it b/c it will give her diarhhea. However, with the dimentia, it goes in one ear and out the other. I try to be on top of everything and watch her constantly, but there are times that I'm out of the house and she'll "sneak" an ice cream, or cheese and crackers and that's when she has the most trouble. I don't keep milk in the house anymore, and from this point forward I won't allow her to buy cheese or ice cream. It's in the house for me. However, she can't be trusted and I can live without it, so she only goes shopping with me and I won't allow it in the house. That should help. Other than that, I'm thinking maybe citrus is bothering her too. I'm looking at all her meds online to see if any of them can cause loose bowels. We'll get through this. I know it's uncomfortable for her too. I really do feel badly for her and I want to make her more comfortable. I can only try.

·
Registered
254 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kirchbabe1:I'm looking at all her meds online to see if any of them can cause loose bowels.
If she's on many meds, then it might be drug combinations and not just individual drug side effects. Usually, the online side effects and testing they've done is related to the specific drug without regards to the 10,000 other drug combinations.A few months back we made an appointment with mother-in-laws GP (ours too which we trust) and took all her drugs/supplements with us. She was having an issue and the GP was able to point out some drug combinations that she had seen cause problems. Nothing documented in the drug trials, etc but her experience with older adults taking 6+ meds a day had shown some patterns. Just a thought.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
good luck KB, i can relate to what your doing, i was a carer for quite a few years with people who had dementia etc, its a bloody hard job but i feel it can be very rewarding, well it was to me as i felt that i was really trying to help others.. i admire you for doing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.