Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! It has been ages since I have posted because I have kept my IBS relatively under control.Twice in the past week, I have had D with maybe 2 minutes warning...thank God I was in a house (not mine unfortunately!) and not on the road somewhere desperately in search of a bathroom.The common denominator in each case was that I had eaten a really small amount of carrots the night before in soup, so the carrots were so well-cooked, they were practically mush, and the other factor was heat. I live in the NE where it has rained since late March, and we are finally experiencing real heat. But I was outside for no more than 10 to 15 minutes today. In the past, I have indeed gotten D on hot horrible days, but never after being outside for such a short time.If it is the heat, I am in big trouble this summer. Does anyone have similar reactions to carrots? I sure hope it's the carrots, because they are easy to avoid!!! Thank you for your feedback!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am much healthier in the summer, late spring, and early fall due to favorable temps....cold is a big trigger to me. IBS is so freaking wierd how it effects us differently.I tolerate raw carrots but can not eat cooked ones. We had a thread a while back about orange food and it seems many have problems with carrots, yams, oranges, and other orange foods...pretty strange

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I should look for the orange food thread. It's so bizarre! Hot weather has given me IBS since I was a teen....it was my first trigger!! I am also questioning almonds...I ate them in the past with no problem, but since triggers manifest themselves at weird times, I would not be surprised if it were the almonds.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It is most likely the hot weather, carrots seem harmless to me unless I dip them into an onion dip!! The hot weather just started up here in Ohio and my stomach is starting to feel crampy and gurgling is loud enough to be heard over the TV. D is just around the corner. Give me cool weather anytime.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Carrots don't seem to bother me (though some times it's so hard to know what is doing what), but the Spring is a really bad time for me. Fall is runner-up and winter seems to be best.Spring has always been a trigger especially with my reflux.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think part of the reason the heat affects us isn't as much the heat as we're on the go more. In the winter, I'm pretty much a hermit other than goiing to work so there's not that big worry of being somewhere without a bathroom. But as soon as summer comes it's trips and picnics, etc. etc. etc. So that doesn't help either! But the hotter the weather the worse my IBS for sure. Mine's also a big part mental: I have myself so psyched out that as soon as I leave the house I'll have to go that that's usually what happens! I need a way to end this vicious cycle.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI"High temperatures and humidity stress the body's ability to cool itself, and heat illness becomes a special concern during hot weather. There are three major forms of heat illnesses: heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke, with heat stroke being a life threatening condition.Heat Cramps Heat cramps are muscle spasms which usually affect the arms, legs, or stomach. " http://www.pp.okstate.edu/ehs/training/heat.htm "WEATHER-SENSITIVITY/BIOMETEOROLOGY:Biometeorology refers to the influence of the weather upon our health, well-being and behaviour. Asthma attacks can be triggered by thunderstorms, migraine headaches can be brought on by changes in atmospheric pressure - as can flare-ups of arthritis. Females seem to be more susceptible and sensitive towards changes in the weather and atmospheric pressure."When air ions are negatively charged, people feel well and revitalised while a high concentration of positive ions can induce a depressed mood. Positive ions are produced when two weather fronts collide which can induce severe migraine headaches. Just before a storm, ions are positively charged and can make people who are weather-sensitive feel quite ill with painful joints, headaches, bowel upsets and breathing difficulties. Some people find an ioniser can be helpful.""Before a thunderstorm, the hot humid, positively charged atmosphere triggers the brain to produce serotonin and these increased levels can lead to symptoms of tension, headaches, anxiety, nausea and vomiting." http://www.gut-reaction.freeserve.co.uk/bio-meteorology.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.