Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have had reactions many bad and lingering with Actonal (osteoporisis meds) and had to go to the emergency room, I now am very careful with any meds.I was told by Gastro Doc. that iodine is to be injected into my veins so that my abdomen and lower body is to be better seen.She wants to rule out other things even though my colinoscopy was good as I am still having pain and constipation.Is there another way to do this? Should I have this much concern.If there is a meds side effect I am usually the one to have it.Please help!!!Barbra

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
A Radiologist friend of mine assures me that most studies can be done without contrast dye (the iodine). The equipment is so good these days that they can see well enough without it...but using contrast dye is an old habit, you might have trouble convincing someone not to use it on you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like this thread...thanks for starting it Barbra.I am allergic to iodine also. I can't eat shrimp but not because I'm allergic to shellfish, but because I'm allergic to iodine.K9Mom,I'm glad you shared that info with us because I was concerned about having to have a ct scan again or other tests that require contrast dye. OO, I'm all over this board today, somebody better give me some lithium so I can come down from this hypo mania !
summer

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:A Radiologist friend of mine assures me that most studies can be done without contrast dye (the iodine). The equipment is so good these days that they can see well enough without it...but using contrast dye is an old habit, you might have trouble convincing someone not to use it on you.
False. Was he joking with you? Dyes will always be needed. In fact, drug companies are continually working on new ones. Here is one that just came out: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040405/ukm002_1.html

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I dont know about iodine; but I am deathly allergic to IVP dye. And yes, I found out the hard way..I stopped breathing when they began to inject the dye into my IV. I was able to have an internal ultrasound to see that kind of thing. (a wand inserted in my vagina). Depending on what tests you need done; maybe they can do that for you...although I was told the other was more accurate for finding things.I can eat shellfish too, no problem. Next time I see a doctor I am going to ask the ingredients in an IVP dye injection...maybe it is iodine..I just say IVP dye when they ask my allergies.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Flux, wanna put your credentials up against my friends? He is board certified in interventional radiology and vascular radiology.News flash - drug companies make money from the sale of the dyes.Bottom line is for some people contrast dyes are very dangerous. I'm one of them, thus the reason for my conversation with the Radiologist. I was advised to do "whatever it takes" to ensure that I was never given a contrast dye as they are NOT necessary in MOST studies.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:na put your credentials up against my friends? He is board certified in interventional radiology and vascular radiology
He also seems good at pulling a fast one over on you
quote:a contrast dye as they are NOT necessary in MOST studies.
They are almost always required in studies of the gut. Barium counts as a contrast agent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.