Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new here, but have had IBS-D for some time. Recently I have been lucky. I have a much better idea now what leads to problems (too much veg and pulses, especially sweet corn and beetroot, large meals), so I have felt better and more in control. However, I have had episodes of faecal incontinence. Very cringeworthy! Having not had one for some time, much to my relief, it suddenly happened again last Friday. After a night with friends (Chinese takeaway - normally fine) and a 100th year birthday celebration the day after, with a 3 course meal (nothing much suspect in any of it), 2 cups of coffee to ensure I stayed awake for a several hour drive home, we set off. I got very sleepy, so we stopped and I had a nap. I was the driver for the day. Then another 1/2 cup of coffee, and set off again, in good form. Then while driving on the motorway, I got the dreaded spasms, with about 25 miles to drive to nearest service station. As I got out of the car the 'gates opened'. Totally out of control, at a service station. Awful!!!!!! Leapt into the bushes to sort myself out. Husband was a trouper, assisted me with finding clothes in the boot. When tidied I went in to the service station, aiming for the disabled loo, so that I could have private access to a wash basin. Locked of course. And I was in NO state to ask anyone anything. Today I went to the GP to get some emergency medication if it ever happens again. It was so out of the blue! He prescribed Buscopan and what I think should be fast acting loperamide, though it looks like the normal ones, that I already have for anxious moments. I also take Lepicol which I think benefits me, calm everything down. Was fine for 2.5 weeks in Turkey, no problems at all, but taking Lepicol daily there (which I intend to continue with here at home). Would be grateful for any tips anyone has on medications or anything else for these kind of out of the blue episodes. I don't have daily or even weekly spasms so want to avoid taking medication all the time that I mostly don't need.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Coffee can be a diarrhea trigger for anyone even those that don't have IBS or other GI problems (although they usually need more than people with IBS), so sounds like tired or not that may be (and other high caffeine energy drinks) may be something to avoid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Coffee can be a diarrhea trigger for anyone even those that don't have IBS or other GI problems (although they usually need more than people with IBS), so sounds like tired or not that may be (and other high caffeine energy drinks) may be something to avoid.
Thanks for that suggestion! In fact I think you could well be right! It is an irritant after all. But on this occasion it was also a matter of driving safely! Also wondered if the combintation of chinese and a three course meal + coffee just became too much, even if individually they were OK. Very nice to be on a site where people don't just seem to get disgusted with you! As I was/am of myself! And scared! As it was so out of the blue. it's really affected my mood the last few days.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Larger than usual meals also don't help as that makes the colon more active than small meals eaten frequently.And you are right it seems things can add up. Each thing by itself is OK, but in combination it can be, um, explosive.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have this happen so often that we've taken to driving only at night--so that we can stop roadside & I can squat between both side car doors! My husband is great about it, hands me wipes, etc. He knows exactly that I can't eat if we're going to drive. I eat only saltines or pretzels the day before a drive. Tough on me, so I usually don't travel much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"I have this happen so often that we've taken to driving only at night--so that we can stop roadside & I can squat between both side car doors! My husband is great about it, hands me wipes, etc. He knows exactly that I can't eat if we're going to drive. I eat only saltines or pretzels the day before a drive. Tough on me, so I usually don't travel much."That's awful for you! Isn't it great to have a supportive husband in this kind of situation!!!!! While it has happened to me before, it has not been often enough (thank goodness) for me to be completely sure what the reasons are. So today on an outing with an old friend, loperamide came much into action. I don't actually like taking too many of them as they can leave me uncomfortable later, but I wasn't going to risk anything, and also 4 mebeverine, to reduce risk of spasms etc. Found myself far more aware of what I was doing, food wise, so the anxiety levels have increased. Has anyone here got experience with Buscopan? I was prescribed them yesterday, not to take regularly, but as an emergency help when needed. That would either be when I am out of normal routine generally, and then take preventatively, or take if the spasms come upon me with no loo nearby. (Of course I forgot them at home today!!!) Has anyoe tried and found it workingg? Of course, while I have today finally told my friend I am prone to IBS,in order to sort of explain why I removed all batter from our meal of fish and chips, I most certainly not told her the potential extent of the problem! The usual stigma feeling. I am sure you all know what I mean!In the past I have travelled in India, where I had a crisis - embarrasing, but sort of understandable, in Iran, where I was desperate, but could - just - rescue the situations, likewise in Madagascar, eg managed to get our of the public eye, but was disturbed by all of them (tears on each occasion). Peculiarly on a recent holiday in Turkey I had no problems at all........but I took a capsule of Lepicol daily, and the meals were generally small, though sufficient, and felt healthy, both composition and hygiene wise. So this even really threw me. Need to re-find my confidence.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I long ago switched to tea for caffeine (although I believe JUST caffeine can be a trigger) this helped since coffee was just too much for me to handle.Also, black tea is needed for caffeine, but I found it's safer drinking a green tea and just more of it...although this is still sort of dangerous, I'm at the moment trying to cut caffeine completely if I can...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I JUST JOINED THIS SITE TODAY. I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN GOING TO CHURCH BECAUSE I CAN'T STAND TO SIT ON THE HARD PEWS. I LOST MY JOB IN JUNE OF 2009 AND I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WHILE I WAS WORKING. I'm constantly obsessed with whether I can 'go to the bathroom' or not. If I don't take 2 laxatives a day, it's not gonna happen! Before I lost my job I had fantastic BMs EVERY MORNING!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts