Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum

phoenixinthesun73

CBD for anxiety causing IBS symptoms
TagsNone

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Good morning or afternoon or evening, whichever it might be for you, I'm trying to get information about using CBD to lessen anxiety so it will not lead directly to IBS symptoms, which for me are gas in the intestines, a copious amount of it, and alternating between constipation and softer stools, which usually come out in the morning when I try to go. When I do go, it starts off normally, but by the time I have my second BM ,the stool is softer and therefore harder to eliminate. It's soft enough that it would be considered very slight diarrhea, where the edges of the stool are sort of frayed looking and often looks flattened because of the difficulty I'm having with getting things out given my pelvic floor deficiency and possible issues within the rectum. I am looking for anything that will help me calm the negative impact that anxiety / anxious feelings are having directly on my gastrointestinal tract. I should know that I've done low FODMAP, take doxepin for the anxiety, and seeing a therapist for the pelvic floor issues. Does anyone have experience with treating this as the primary cause of their IBS? The anxious thoughts just go right into the intestinal tract either nducing the feeling of having to go or actually going where invariably it leads to those nastier type stools, so I need to manage those as best as I can because I know that's what's driving the problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don’t think my ibs is primarily anxiety driven but I take cbd for pain and it makes me feel relaxed and less anxious as a side effect. I imagine if you ibs is anxiety based, cbd could really be beneficial.

·
Functional Nutrition Gut Health Coach
103 Posts
Hi...
CBD or other cannabis products can be helpful to encourage a calm demeanor, but may not address the root cause. Something I've found a lot of help with is the amino acid GABA. This is our natural anti-anxiety neurotransmitter, and it is easily available as a supplement.

If ongoing stress or trauma is the source of the anxiety, sometime retraining the nervous system is necessary, to train the brain to stay calm and not overreact to things. A program I regularly refer clients to is The Gupta Program. It's worked wonders and miracles with some of my clients.

And at a more root cause level, often anxiety can be connected to underlying gut infections, which can underlie IBS symptoms. For example, once I treated my SIBO, I have a lot less anxiety. A recent client found a lot more peace and calm once they treated their H pylori. The gut microbiome and who is living in there can absolutely affect your mood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have this issue when I get nervous. I just feel that my stomach is somehow connected to my nervous system, and each time I feel anxious, my stomach wants to get rid of everything inside it. And I also want to try CBD oil to see whether it can help me with this issue.
I know I can mix good oil with food and beverages to make the effect milder. I plan to buy oil from weedofficials.com and try it little by little to find the right dosage for me. I am still afraid to get addicted to it, and that’s why I am going to start with small doses and go up step by step to feel where I reach the necessary level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts