Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc has just switched me from BusPar and Librax to Celexa and Levsin. I'm IBS-D with lots of abdominal cramping, anxiety, beginning to get a bit depressed during the bouts, so I think it's a reasonable approach, but my question concerns the time when you are accomodating to the drugs, particularly the Celexa. I took 10 mg yesterday, will do the same today and then move to 20 mg per day. I've read the package insert, so I know what's predicted, but I'm having a lot of nausea and a bit of chilling, plus am really tired. Have others experienced these symptoms when first going on Celexa, and if so, how long did they last? Thanks,kate

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm also on Celexa. My symptoms lasted about a week or so. What I (and another friend who takes it) found, is eating small meals all day reduces the diziness. Also having something to eat with the Celexa helps. For me, even havimg a banana with my Celexa worked wonders...or peaches if I was nauseous. Stick it out...once they find what dosage is the best for you it really does work.
(I'm also IBS D)

G

·
Hi Kate!I was put onto 20 mg Celexa (Citalopram in the UK) around six weeks ago .... overwhelming tiredness for around 4 days which then abated - no other side effects since.
Julie------------------*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

G

·
I was also on Celexa for 3 weeks and I was nauseated and spacey for 1 1/2 weeks. That part settled down, but it made my D. much worse then it already was. I could not leave the house. The dr. told me it could help or could make it worse. I'm afraid I went the bad way. I hope it works for you, because after I felt like myself again in the head, it would have been great if the D. was better. (I found the Colestid is working for me.) Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KRoth- My D is starting to get worse, too. My doc said to tough it out for a few more days, and see how it goes. There are fortunately several choices out there, but the trial and error are not fun!kate

G

·
Hi Kate. I have been on Celexa for many months now. I had some dizziness and drowsiness at first, as well as some nausea. To alieviate the drowsies and nausea, I take it at night before I go to sleep. The dizziness went away after just a week or 2. I also had some sexual sensitivity side-effects. For this reason, my doc reduced my Rx to 5mg(1/2 tab)/day. This med has 99.9% eliminated my problems. I am healthy enough now to go camping, on long car rides, long walks, pretty much everything I want to do. I can't tell you what a God-send this has been for me. Hopefully you will have success with this or some other type of SSRI. I know they don't work for everyone, but it's been nothing short of miraculous for me. Good luck to you.Cat

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, I'm a new kid on the block but I am not new to IBS. I have suffered for about 11 years with bouts of D and C. 2 weeks ago my Dr. put me on Celexa and Pamine. Has anyone tried the Pamine. I seem to be having great success so far.I mostly have problems with D.Carol------------------Carol[This message has been edited by Carolc (edited 06-11-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.