Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I have just been put on celexa (have tried, dicetel, modulon, etc.) and have just come off clonazepam (which worked somewhat, it definitely decreased the symptoms, but only 30-40%)Anyhow.. the first two days haev proved to be difficult, not sure if it's strictly the withdrawal from the clonazepam, or the lack of overlap between celexa, (as I have heard it takes a while to kick in)For anyone taking/who has taken celexa (AND STUCK WITH IT for more than a week
) what type of sympoms did you have, or side-effects, and did they dissapate at all?I have been very lethargic, had minor shakes.. and the D has been much worse that it ever was on the clonazepam.. (maybe withdrawal, maybe the celexa, maybe just IBS.. not sure)Any insight you might have would be great!Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi candian guy,I am taking Xanax now, along with Effexor, because the Effexor along didn't handle the anxiety alone. My reading says that you should not go off clonazepam all at once, but taper off. When I started the Effexor, I was taking Xanax three times a day. Once the Effexor kicked in, which took three weeks or so, I was able to reduce the Xanax down to 2 a day. You might want to get in touch with your dr. about maintaing some clonazepam until you see how the Celexa does. I knew I was ready to reduce the Xanax when I just forgot to take my noon dose two days in a row and didn't feel anxious. My psychiatrist has no problem with me taking both so I will continue to do so for now. Good luck and take care.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Forgot to mention that my doctor chose Effexor for 2 reasons. 1. It is used to treat both anxiety and depresssion so he felt that was a good choice for me. 2. One of its more common side effects is constipation, which may be helping with my D. You might want to check whether Celexa has D or C as possible side effect, that could make a difference too. Take care.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
california - thanks. Celexa has D as a side effect.. and I was also concerned about the tapering off of the clonazepam.. but my doc didn't seem to concerned, and said to just make the switch.I will contact him and see about doing both, or atleast adding something to help control the D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a regular MD..I have started seeing a GI, but appointments are 6 months in between, and I have only had one thus far.. got one more coming up in October for a colonoscopy
Anyhow.. will contact the doc today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Canadian_Guy,I have been on Celexa for about a month and a half now. My side effects at first were shakiness, feeling tense, and trouble sleeping. I only had these side effects for 3 nights. It happened at night because I take my Celexa at night. I started out with 10mg and then after a week, worked my way up to 20 mg.. right now i'm at 20 mg but my doctor is considering increasing to 40mg. Whenever I did increase my dosage I experienced the same symptoms as above, but they always went away after 3 nights.I have found that Celexa has helped alot with my anxiety about being sick. I am able to go out and be happy. I also have more energy. I just don't sit around and wait for the attacks anymore. Recently though, i've been having a lil bit more anxiety due to the new stresses of the school year. I tried Paxil CR at first and it made me extremely sick.Hopefully it can work for you.. i would at least give it 10 days.. after that or if the symptoms are so bad then i would stop it.. but ask your dr. before stopping it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Celexa is a newer SSRI with fewer side effects. I tried it and it gave me D. Switched to Zoloft, no problem with D. Talk to your Dr. There are a lot of SSRIs to choose from, if one doesn't work, try another. If D is your major problem then ask the Dr. about one of the older tricyclic antidepressants. They have a side effect of C and may work better for ibs d.AZ

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have been on celexa for 2 1/2 and love it, it has helped my anxiety 90% I can't go any higher than 20mg. I get extremely C and at 40mg no sex drive. So i will stay with 20mg. I had side effects when I started for about 2 weeks, stomach ache (pepto helped) and minor stuff, like hot flashes, and trouble sleeping, but once that goes away, your home free. Good luck TERIO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my first half-a-pill of Celexa last night. I finally got a pyschiatrist by chance -- dermatologist recommended him -- and he understands that anxiety, depression, and IBS are connected. Anyway, I'm not looking forward to any side effects but I've searched Google and now this forum for information.I wish I could have weekly sessions for therapy but that costs money -- unless you have connections or are a criminal.At least I'll get to see a pyschiatrist every few months, and that's more than I ever believed possible in our country of waiting lists. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is supposed to be great but the free system -- never calls you back, loses your file, etc. -- is terrible here so forget about it.I'm beginning with 10mg/day for two weeks, and then 20mg/day so we'll see if this helps. I'll see the doc next month and then every few monts afterwards. I can't even get on a waiting list for a "good" family doctor until six months from now, or later. I don't care though because I'm going to be tenacious so I have a dermatologist, psychiatrist, and a family doctor, all in the same building. Too bad they don't do eye operations there as well.Sorry about TMI, felt like saying some things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.