Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that no matter what cereal I eat in addition to rice milk, I get bloaty, gasy and have abdominal pain. Is this IBS or Celiac Disease? My symptoms of abdominal pain are worst in the morning when I eat the most grains.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Probably one of the most authoritative source on the internet is: http://www.celiac.com/ Although my biopsy was negative several years ago, and my blood work was negative two months ago, going on a gluten free/casein free/lactose free/sugar free diet cleared up my diarrhea for the first time in over 20 years. My GI doc thinks that I have a combination of a gluten intolerance (which would not show up on the tests) and at least one other thing (lactose intolerance).And, while I still have to take IBS meds (fortunately, I still have some Lotronex left), my life is closer to normal than it has been in a long time.The only real difficulty with a gluten free diet is eating out. The celiac website even offers a card that you can carry in your wallet/purse for use in restaurants. I've just been avoiding eating out but I know that I can't do that for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Probably one of the most authoritative source on the internet is: http://www.celiac.com/ Although my biopsy was negative several years ago, and my blood work was negative two months ago, going on a gluten free/casein free/lactose free/sugar free diet cleared up my diarrhea for the first time in over 20 years. My GI doc thinks that I have a combination of a gluten intolerance (which would not show up on the tests) and at least one other thing (lactose intolerance).And, while I still have to take IBS meds (fortunately, I still have some Lotronex left), my life is closer to normal than it has been in a long time.The only real difficulty with a gluten free diet is eating out. The celiac website even offers a card that you can carry in your wallet/purse for use in restaurants. I've just been avoiding eating out but I know that I can't do that for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Only certain cereal grains are problematic for celiac patients. Do you ONLY eat wheat, barley, malt, etc as cereal. That mean no bread, pasta, or anything else made with gluten at all during the day (and that is very rare for most people who are not trying to do a gluten free diet)What happens if you have cream of rice cereal with rice milk?? Or a cereal that has corn only in it... no flour (even in small amounts, for example rice crispies have some flour in them to keep them from clumping too much)Rice and corn are typically safe for celiacs. Oats would be safe if they were processed in a separate plant from wheat and barley, but most machines used to process oats are used for wheat so there is cross contamination.AND sometimes someone is rice-intolerant. What happens if you eat the cereal dry for a few days?What happens if you have eggs and no grains for breakfast?? One of the problems is that first thing in the morning and after eating are things that activate the colon. So sometimes any breakfast is a potential problem as you are just at a bad time of day for colon activity.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Only certain cereal grains are problematic for celiac patients. Do you ONLY eat wheat, barley, malt, etc as cereal. That mean no bread, pasta, or anything else made with gluten at all during the day (and that is very rare for most people who are not trying to do a gluten free diet)What happens if you have cream of rice cereal with rice milk?? Or a cereal that has corn only in it... no flour (even in small amounts, for example rice crispies have some flour in them to keep them from clumping too much)Rice and corn are typically safe for celiacs. Oats would be safe if they were processed in a separate plant from wheat and barley, but most machines used to process oats are used for wheat so there is cross contamination.AND sometimes someone is rice-intolerant. What happens if you eat the cereal dry for a few days?What happens if you have eggs and no grains for breakfast?? One of the problems is that first thing in the morning and after eating are things that activate the colon. So sometimes any breakfast is a potential problem as you are just at a bad time of day for colon activity.K.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you think you may have Celiac (you do have many of the symptoms) go get a blood test. That is the first step. They see if you have specific antibodies in your blood. If you are positive - then they give you the biopsy.Safe cereals - Corn Pops, Corn Flakes, & Fruity Pebbles. Read the boxes carefully when it comes to corn flakes. Corn Pops is 100% safe.You can go to your local health food store & get pasta made out of corn too.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you think you may have Celiac (you do have many of the symptoms) go get a blood test. That is the first step. They see if you have specific antibodies in your blood. If you are positive - then they give you the biopsy.Safe cereals - Corn Pops, Corn Flakes, & Fruity Pebbles. Read the boxes carefully when it comes to corn flakes. Corn Pops is 100% safe.You can go to your local health food store & get pasta made out of corn too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.