Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/94/103...0000_1000_nb_05
quote:Antioxidant supplements may be of no benefit when it comes to preventing stomach and colorectal cancers.In fact, researchers say that based on a small number of well-designed studies a few antioxidants supplements might increase the risk of certain gastrointestinal cancers or even death.It's important to keep in mind that the review is a work in progress, not the final word on supplements, cancer, and death.Goran Bjelakovic, MD, of the University of Nis in Serbia and Montenegro, and colleagues from Copenhagen University Hospital in Denmark, conducted a review of 14 studies of more than 170,000 people.
Diets high in antioxidants seem to be protective of cancer...but I am getting more convinced that it is other things in the foods (and may be things we can't put in supplement form) that are what provides the benefit.Guess it is still the eat your veggies like Mom always said
K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS Selenium seems to be protective...here is the things that may be problematic
quote:potential ProblemsBeta-carotene "increased mortality," say the researchers, but combining beta-carotene and vitamins A and E "significantly increased mortality."A mix of vitamin A and beta-carotene had "significantly higher" cancer incidence and deaths, compared with a placebo.Death rates were also significantly higher for beta-carotene and vitamin E.
K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PS Selenium seems to be protective...here is the things that may be problematic
quote:potential ProblemsBeta-carotene "increased mortality," say the researchers, but combining beta-carotene and vitamins A and E "significantly increased mortality."A mix of vitamin A and beta-carotene had "significantly higher" cancer incidence and deaths, compared with a placebo.Death rates were also significantly higher for beta-carotene and vitamin E.
K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:Definition: Prevents oxidation (combining with oxygen). Anti- oxidant substances include superoxide dismutase, selenium, vitamin C and E, and zinc.
For this discussion it is things that are found in foods that are often given in very high doses in pill form.Diets high in antioxidants seem to be protective in people that eat this way. The most obvious thing in the diet is the amount of anti-oxidants and for a long time (although this is not the first study that went this way) and people hoped that taking pills with lots of antioxidants in them would prevent cancer.If you go along the vitamin aisle at the drug store there will be any number of bottles of pills combining the various anti-oxidants together usually with the idea that if you take enough of the pills for the rest of your life you will be protected from cancer.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote:Definition: Prevents oxidation (combining with oxygen). Anti- oxidant substances include superoxide dismutase, selenium, vitamin C and E, and zinc.
For this discussion it is things that are found in foods that are often given in very high doses in pill form.Diets high in antioxidants seem to be protective in people that eat this way. The most obvious thing in the diet is the amount of anti-oxidants and for a long time (although this is not the first study that went this way) and people hoped that taking pills with lots of antioxidants in them would prevent cancer.If you go along the vitamin aisle at the drug store there will be any number of bottles of pills combining the various anti-oxidants together usually with the idea that if you take enough of the pills for the rest of your life you will be protected from cancer.K.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thats interesting to know. I work for an opthalmologist and we tell patients to take antioxidents to reduce the risk of developing macular degeneration,especially if a relative (mom/dad) has it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thats interesting to know. I work for an opthalmologist and we tell patients to take antioxidents to reduce the risk of developing macular degeneration,especially if a relative (mom/dad) has it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
How much noise they made about antioxidants when they first came out, and where is all that "free radicals and the AO reacting with them before they destroy the cell and other #### theories. I feel disapointed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
How much noise they made about antioxidants when they first came out, and where is all that "free radicals and the AO reacting with them before they destroy the cell and other #### theories. I feel disapointed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote: I work for an opthalmologist and we tell patients to take antioxidents to reduce the risk of developing macular degeneration,especially if a relative (mom/dad) has it.
Today's news is bound to cause at least one significant dilemma and probably a lot more in other areas. In a 10 year study of Age Related Eye Disease, high doses of antioxidant vitamins and zinc have been shown to slow the progress of macular degeneration. Age-Related Eye Disease Study--Results I have an elderly parent who takes daily doses of Ocuvite Preservision for her macular degeneration. I hope her choices don't come down to going blind or developing cancer of the digestive system.

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote: I work for an opthalmologist and we tell patients to take antioxidents to reduce the risk of developing macular degeneration,especially if a relative (mom/dad) has it.
Today's news is bound to cause at least one significant dilemma and probably a lot more in other areas. In a 10 year study of Age Related Eye Disease, high doses of antioxidant vitamins and zinc have been shown to slow the progress of macular degeneration. Age-Related Eye Disease Study--Results I have an elderly parent who takes daily doses of Ocuvite Preservision for her macular degeneration. I hope her choices don't come down to going blind or developing cancer of the digestive system.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Funny, 'cuz I take a flavonoid based blend of anti-oxidents and it has stopped my GI problems. (The bilberry in it has also reversed macular degeneration--she went from legally blind back to sighted--in one woman I know.)Pays your money, takes your choice. Definitely eat your veggies in any case.Mark

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Funny, 'cuz I take a flavonoid based blend of anti-oxidents and it has stopped my GI problems. (The bilberry in it has also reversed macular degeneration--she went from legally blind back to sighted--in one woman I know.)Pays your money, takes your choice. Definitely eat your veggies in any case.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, it could be a dilemma for those who are at a high risk of macular degeneration.I do think, however, that getting a diet rich in antioxidants may help with that as well as taking supplements. But it usually is easier to get people to take a pill than eat their veggies.K.PS checked a site and getting your antioxidants from whole foods should work for Mac. Degen. as well.I would probably if I needed them based on this information at least add selenium to the mix, since it seems to be one that IS protective.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.